Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

fireplace

I would like to know how to build a wood casing around a brick fireplace. I can not find any information anywhere. What tools and wood would I need to complete this job. Please help.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-27T11:34:26+0000  by mskeysha mskeysha

Welcome to the community.

The sky’s the limit on how you want the fireplace to be presented. I would recommend that the first step should be design. Start by searching for “Fireplace Mantels” on your favorite search engines image section.

Here are some basic designs I found:

images (18).jpg     images (20).jpg

images (21).jpg       images (17).jpg   

The Mantel (or casing) can be built separately from the fireplace and installed later.

There are a few things to consider before starting the project:

• Do you want the final appearance to be stained or painted (I recommend paint)?
  • Is it strictly ornamental or will it be holding heavy objects - much like a shelf would?
  • How tall and wide do you want it to be?
  • How deep do want it (or how much do you want it to stick out)?

You will need basic tools such as:

• Miter or trim saw.
  • Hammer.
  • Nails, wood screws, and anchor fasteners for the brick.
  • Screw gun.

Simply build a face out of 1x6 or 8 boards (two sides and a top). Attach the trim you like to the frame. Add a top shelf with possible crown molding beneath it.  Attach the finished piece to the 2x2 board that is mounted to the brick.

images (22).jpg

Of course, there are so many variations to this method – I recommend checking out the Home Depot site. There are several pre-built mantels that only need installation. 

123b6956-2a90-413e-9139-4846e7b4b712_300.jpg

Posted 2011-02-27T18:50:53+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+