Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

fix holes in drywall the size of door knob

I am looking to fix holes in our drywall. Most of the holes are from the doors swinging back and the door knob going through the wall. How and what do I need to fix these holes?




Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-11-06T16:54:03+0000  by Naomi92014 Naomi92014

Welcome to our community Naomi92014!


Thank you for your question!


Well, first off, I have a video for you on how to repair drywall. This video is really helpful and give you a clear idea of how to repair the holes in your drywall.


Since you will be fixing door knob holes, you will want to use a drywall patch. We have a drywall repair kit that includes spackle, sandpaper, putty knife and 1. 4" x 4" patch. The spackle that is included in the kit will be enough to repair quite a few holes. If you need more than 1 patch, you can buy them separately here or at your local Home Depot in the paint department. 


If you would like to avoid making hole behind your door in the future, you can place a door knob stop on the drywall behind the door knob. This is a hard plastic disc that will protect your wall from being damaged by the door knob.


If you have any more questions, please let us know!


Christine :)




Posted 2013-11-06T19:11:34+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL


There is an amazingly simple and inexpensive way to fix minor holes, such as door knob punctures which has been used by painters for years. You simply "square off" the hole to a fixed dimension such  as a 3 inch square. You then take a scrap of 1/2inch drywall and square it off to a 1 inch margin greater than the hole, i.e. the 3 inch hole requires a 5 inch square piece of drywall. Now, on the back side of the drywall you scribe an edge forming a 3 inch square. Now you snap the drywall and peel off the gypsum, leaving only the white drywall paper around the edge. Now "dry fit" the drywall piece to make sure it fits neatly into the hole.  If it fits, remove it and "butter up" the edges with drywall compound on the edges and the back of the white paper. Now when the drywall is again placed into the whole, the drywall compound can be forced out with a spackle knife, leaving the drywall "glued" to the wall. After the patch has dryied, a light coat of compound is then put over the entire patch. After dry, the patch is sanded and feather out. At this point, the patch is ready to prime and paint. -  see attached photo.


The advantages of this system is that:  It is very strong as the compound fills the gap around the edge. The "tape" is already attached. The surface of the patch is not needlessly raised as when a metal patch is attached to the surface.


In areas of the country where textured walls are used, the drywall compound can be blended into the existing texture, after it has been sanded, by using a dampened sponge to wipe the edges of the patch, dissolving and removing the ridge left buy the spackle knife. A quick spraying with wall texture then makes the patch virtually invisible.


Sorry about the large photo file size. You will have to scroll to find the object in the picture.



Posted 2013-11-07T00:51:07+0000  by ordjen
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question