Sign In to join the community | Help
Plumbing

fixing leaking toilet

Dear Sir \ Madam,

For some time now, my toilet has been leaking water from inside the cistern & i have been loosing much water, so much so, that my water & sewage bill has sky rocketed. l recently went to the Bloomfield Home Depot to seek assistance & i was told to replace the water valve in the cistern, which i did, however, the water leak continues from the flop area in the cistern. Any suggestions. Thank you.

John K
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-01-08T16:14:28+0000  by JK11 JK11

KRAZY - LEAKING - TOILET - CISTERN...!!!

I have an all-in-one Eljer toilet system for the past 12 years, still looking like new. However, for some time now i have been loosing a lot of water & the water & sewage bill has sky rocketed. The water is leaking from inside the cistern from the flush valve & i have since replaced the flush valve with a universal Fluid Master Model which seems to have stopped the leak, however, the leak is from the water flush flop area, which seems not to stay shut off when flushing is finished & the water has been refilled.

Any helping suggestion other than replacing the toilet.

Thank you.
John K.
Posted 2016-01-08T16:23:50+0000  by JK11
Hello JK11.  Welcome to the Community!

There are only 2 ways that a toilet can leak water without dumping it all over your bathroom floor.

First and most common is when the flapper/flush valve does not seal.  These flappers are a common replacement item as they only last at best a few years without leaking.  One for an Eljer toilet will typically look like this one, which screws onto a plastic frame that attaches to the lift chain:

LINK

Replacing this type of flapper with a "universal" one may not work well.

Second would be water spilling into the overflow tube, which on Eljer toilets is typically cast into the back of the tank.  This is caused usually by a poorly adjusted fill valve, which tries to fill the tank to a level above the overflow drain.  It is also possible that you have a leaky fill valve, but normally these valves plug up rather than leak all the time.

Chris.

Posted 2016-01-08T20:03:42+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Hi JK11,

The Touch Flush Full Assembly Kit contains everything you should need to repair your Elger toilet.

Posted 2016-03-31T17:26:44+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+