Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

framing a bathroom mirror

As is the rage right now, I would like to frame out my master bathroom mirrors with some kind of molding.  However, I have a "wrap around" mirror that actually extends onto three walls (the walls are angled).  Does anyone know of any way to frame these out?  I would hate to rip all of the mirrors out and replace them.  I've only seen people frame out their rectangular mirrors and it looks great.  Would it look strange to have my angled mirrors framed?  If not, how would I figure out at what angle to cut the moulding?  Help!!!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-05-18T15:50:19+0000  by unglaa unglaa

Hello Unlaa,

Welcome to the community.

I think if you put a frame around the outside of all three mirrors it would make it appear as if it were one big mirror. In my opinion it would look really good.

As far as finding the correct angle the easiest way would be to use a T-Bevel hand tool. It’s inexpensive and is a great tool to add to your tool box. It’s used to copy an angle and then transfer it another surface like molding or a piece of lumber. It would be well worth the money even if you only use it for this one project. Just think of how many test cuts it would take to get all 4 joints correct.

T-Bevel.jpg

If you are going to be using a flat molding I would take both of the outside mirrors-top and bottom pieces all the way to the wall and then a 45 at the outer edge. The middle top and bottom pieces will lie over the top of them. (See insert) 

Angled Mirror Frame Top View.jpg

If your molding has a more decorative profile than you could still do it this way but it would be a little more work to make a cope joint. I think doing it this way would look great and you will end up with a much tighter fit.

If you prefer to just cut angles on all pieces the T-Bevel will still be highly recommended to get the correct angle.

I love projects that make things that already look good, look great. I think you will be very happy with your mirrors once you add a frame to them.

I can’t wait to see pictures of it once you’re done. Please post some here on the community so we can all admire your great work. :smileysurprised:

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2012-05-18T19:23:31+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+