Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

full length mirror frame

How do you create a frame for a full lenth mirror?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-06T22:13:46+0000  by Bill1623 Bill1623

Hey Bill1623,

Welcome to the community!

To create a frame for your mirror, you really have lots of options out there for you, the sky is the limit if I may say so.

The good news is that you don't need much time or money to create a mirror frame that will look good. 

While there are many ways to approach this, I find that building a backing on the mirror (usually wood) that is the same size as the frame gives a good template so you can attach whatever you like around the mirror. The reason to use a backing is so when you have hooks or mounting brackets on the back of the mirror, it will hold onto the backing and not the mirror or frame, which could lead to it not hanging at all. Also, having a backing ensures you will have the mirror protected from any bumps or accidents that happen down the road. Regarding templates, I have created a rough project guide below that can help you see better a basic starter frame that may work best for you. I chose a 25" x 72" mirror and placed 3" molding around. Be mindful that your mirror and frame you get can be a different size, but hopefully this will give you a guide of how to put it together.

mirror frame.JPG

To get started, take down the measurement of the mirror you have or will get. After that, take a walk down our molding aisle in your local Home Depot and see what kind of frame you would like on your mirror. While you can use tile, metal, or even some plastics, I find that the molding we sell gives you affordable and beautiful choices when building a frame. You can go with a flat brick molding to give it a contemporary look, or use a chair rail (which I chose for the above drawing) to give it a classic look. Most come unfinished so you can stain/paint to whatever color or style you prefer, the possibilities are endless for framing:

molding.JPG

The big tool to have for this project is a circular/table saw, if you don't have one no worries. If you already know your dimensions on everything (the mirror, the backing, the molding) we can cut all of these for you in the store! The mitre cuts are going to be the tricky part in terms of cutting, so careful cutting is key. We have hand saws in our store as well that can cut the mitre to your exact specs giving you that professional look.

If you have all your finished pieces together, frame everything in and use a wood glue to adhere the molding to the backing of the mirror. Use finishing nails to further help the strength of the frame. These go from the molding into the backing. While its optional, I would recommend it. Gluing and nailing the frame gives it 1-2 punch that will make sure it will practically never fall apart.

To adhere the mirror to the backing use mirror adhesive to give it a permanent bond. Liquid Nails' mirror adhesive works best and I think it will work perfect for your mirror.

liquidnails mirror.JPG

If you have your frame ready to be placed on the wall/door, consider using hanging solutions by OOK. We sell their products online and in our store.

Here is a link showing some of their hangers--------------->Frame hangers

This should get you the frame you want for your mirror. Remember there are many possibilities and choices for frames, but hopefully with this information and planning, you can get the one that works best for you.

Thanks,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2011-03-07T15:28:27+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Greeting Bill1623,

I just wanted to add something to this great post.

I would recommend allowing a gap for the expansion and contraction of the mirror with a change of temperature.

Glass changes its size with a change of temperature and it needs room to do so, simply build the frame 1/16" of an inch bigger than dimensions of the mirror.

mirror frame-REVISED.JPG

Posted 2011-03-07T16:40:26+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+