Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

galvanized basement window area wall installation

I have to replace the area wall around my ground level basement window well. Should I be able to just pull it straight up and out and slide in the new one? Or should I expect to have to dig it out from the front and then backfill in the new one? 

I don't know if I could compact the ground sufficiently by hand if I dig out  the space it sits in now. The house overhangs it by about 18 inches so it's an awkward space. Anybody ever replace one by themselves? Also, should I consider a vinyl or galvanized one?  Thank you So Much .

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-04-19T18:14:02+0000  by HEYCHEF HEYCHEF

Hello HeyChef, and welcome to the community!

In order for you to replace the window well you will need to dig around the well itself, you will not be able to just pull it out. Most, if not all window wells are corrugated, which means they have a wavy pattern to them, so the dirt follows the contour of the well.

You asked if you should consider metal or plastic, I would go with plastic, and avoid the possibility of corrosion over time. When you purchase the wall itself, also purchase the well cover that fits it, usually most companies that make the wall also make the cover to fit it.

If you have a deep basement, then the window well may go all the way down to the footing of the foundation. Is there a current drain in your window well that needs cleaning or needs to be rebuilt, proper drainage is critical, otherwise the well will only collect water, and seep in through into the window.

Before you begin to remove the dirt around the well, lay out a tarp to hold all of the dirt or use a wheelbarrow, this will make for an easier clean-up. Once the area is dug out around the outer perimeter,  then you loosen the anchors that hold the old wall, and remove it.

Hold the new wall against the foundation and mark the position of the mounting holes. Wearing safety goggles, drill the foundation to accept masonry fasteners, Tapcon anchors work excellent for this application.  Coat the contact areas with asphalt mastic and install the well. Backfill the outer perimeter with pea gravel, and then shovel 4 or 5 inches of pea gravel into the well itself (to improve drainage).

I included below a few pictures, the first one is cross section of what makes up a window well, the second photograph show the drainage system of a new home being built, note the vertical white pipe from each window well that is tied into the perimeter drainage pipe.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

window well cutaway.jpgfoundation drains.jpg

Posted 2011-04-21T14:41:16+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Wow Tangelo. Great, complete walk through of the replacement process. It 

seems much more do able when it's explained so well. Thanks again.

Posted 2011-04-21T18:58:31+0000  by HEYCHEF

I got some 24 inch deep plastic replacement wells for my basement windows. However the new ones are neither wide enough, 39 1/2 inches compared with previous ones 40-41 inch, and bowing out from the house only 15-16 inches compared to 19-20 on previous ones. Who might carry a more varied assortment of wells?

Posted 2012-03-20T01:32:19+0000  by gardosreid
I got some 24 inch deep plastic replacement wells for my basement windows. However the new ones are neither wide enough, 39 1/2 inches compared with previous ones 40-41 inch, and bowing out from the house only 15-16 inches compared to 19-20 on previous ones. Who might carry a more varied assortment of wells?
Posted 2012-03-20T01:33:21+0000  by gardosreid

Hello gardosreid, and welcome to the community!

Sorry for the delay in getting to a answer. The Home Depot does not carry the size you need but it can order it for you, here is picture of the ones that Amerimax makes, they have two height sizes, both are 42" wide and 36" deep. If you are interested, print this out and bring it to your nearest Home Depot and have one the Pro Sales associates order one, or two. 

egress area wall.JPG

Posted 2012-04-05T17:52:50+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Is there a liner for the inside of the well -- the side that faces the basement window? I was hoping there might be a white liner to reflect light into the basement. It would also make the well look a bit more attractive, at least a bit less industrial.

Joe

Posted 2013-04-20T22:17:16+0000  by JoeBoxer35

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+