Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

garage door opener

how do i know what hp i need for a garage door opener? its a small standard size door , i think made of alum.

Also it being  quiet  (belt drive) is not needed. Is a chain really the best way to go ,except for the noise it makes?

What is the best brand,with the best warenty.  PLEASE AND THANKYOU FOR YOUR HELP.

I want to get the best,but I dont have money to waste. Again THANKYOU for any help you can give me.

If anybody needs help with there horse (yes horse not house) I can help there.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-31T09:11:04+0000  by revolvertom revolvertom

Before installing a garage door opener, it's important to ensure that the door is balanced and functioning properly.  The door should open smoothly and without a lot of effort.  If you raise the door about half way and let go, the door should stay in place.  No opener in the world will fix problems with the door itself.  A half horsepower opener is sufficient for a single steel garage door.

As for brands, Chamberlain in the biggest player in the market making openers under Chamberlain and Liftmaster brands along with private label openers for companies like Sears.   I dont know if they are better or worse than anybody else.  Reading online reviews may offer some guidance, remembering that people are far more likely to complain than praise.

Posted 2013-12-31T14:27:36+0000  by Adam444

Hello revolvertom,

In addition to Adam444's great comments, I would like to add that chain drive openers are the least expensive drive type.  They are reliable and long lasting, but also noisy.  

In general, warranty terms improve when you spend more up front for a higher end product.  It is not the brand that matters as much that more money buys features you may or may not want, in addition to longer warranty periods. These features include additional remote controls, battery back-ups, more costly drive systems, etc.  

It sounds like a 1/2 HP chain drive unit will be fine for you if the remote controls supplied will be all you need.

Is this what you are looking for?

Chris.

Posted 2013-12-31T18:09:02+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

yes, your replay's were very helpfull. with so many to chose from and this will be my first door opener, i dont have any exp with them.  Again  THANKYOU !!!!

Posted 2013-12-31T20:04:21+0000  by revolvertom

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+