Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

garage door opener light doesn't work

Hi, having an issue with the light on the side of my garage door opener. When you put a bulb in it, it seems to flicker a bit and eventually makes a little noise and ends up ruining the bulb and causing it not to work.. Any ideas on what could cause that or how to fix it? I know that is pretty vague, but I have no clue how to fix that. We will be getting a new door and opener next spring, but I need a light in there until then. Thanks. 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-10-15T12:27:56+0000  by kjpayne kjpayne

Hello Kjpayne! 

Thank you for your question! What type of lightbulb are you using? If you are using a regular incandescent light bulb, it may be getting damaged from the vibration of the garage door. 

According to the Chamberlain Garage Door Opener website:
Incandescent light bulb filaments are composed of a thin, delicate wire. When the light bulb is shaken or bumped, the filament can crack or completely break, causing the light bulb to burn out. Therefore, the garage door opener must be mounted securely to prevent movement or vibration from damaging the light bulb. Check the mounting of the garage door opener, or try replacing the incandescent light bulb with a compact fluorescent (CFL) or rough service bulb.

If this doesn’t seem like it could be the issue, please let us know! In your reply, please let us know what brand of garage door opener you have and a model number (if you have it). That way we can help with your specific garage door opener. 

Thank you! 

Christine 

Posted 2014-10-15T14:16:16+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL
It is not related to vibration. I thought of that already. I could take a brand new bulb and screw it in and within a minute the bulb is no good. The door isn't being opened and closed. It's a craftsman garage door opener and it's a little older. i don't have any more info than that. I was going to try a different type of bulb, like a rough service one, and see if it made any difference. 
Posted 2014-10-15T14:23:23+0000  by kjpayne
If you're not operating the garage door opener it doesn't matter what kind of bulb you use.   For regular use use a "rough service" or bulb specifically labeled for garage door openers.  The vibration of the opener will significantly shorten the life of a regular bulb.

Try this:  Unplug the garage door opener and remove the light bulb.  At the bottom of the socket you'll see a little tab.  With a small screw driver gently bend that tab upwards a little.  Put the bulb back in and plug in the opener.

Does that solve the problem?
Posted 2014-10-16T03:24:38+0000  by Adam444
Hello kjpayne.

Adam444 likely has the solution to why bulbs burn out so quickly in your garage door opener socket.
That center socket tab is too low, causing an intermittent contact with the bulb.
Make sure you unplug the opener before you raise that tab back up.

There is one other thing I would do.
Like a rough service bulb, these have vibration resistant filaments, but do not have or need the safety coating on the outside of the bulb which makes them harder to break.
Garage door opener bulbs come in 40-60 watt sizes, while rough service and other types bulbs can be much higher.
Limiting the bulb energy usage to no more than 60 watts will keep you from overloading both the socket and the relay switch inside the opener.  That relay could be the other reason why your lights are not working properly.

Chris.

Posted 2014-10-17T15:00:41+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+