Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

garage door stops and starts when moving up

Our garage door has a hard time going up. It stops and we have the push the button again to get it started. This process continues until it is at the top. It comes down fine. I'm sure there is a simple adjustment that needs to be made, but as I've never had a garage door opener before, I'm hard pressed to figure it out. Assistance is appreciated.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-21T19:45:06+0000  by prettyinpynk prettyinpynk

Hi prettyinpynk,

Before you make any adjustments to your door, check to see if the door is binding anywhere or if it needs lubrication anywhere.  The door goes down easier than it goes up because gravity helps to pull the door down.  Do you have a roll up door or a solid one piece garage door??? 

Check the springs on the solid one piece door to make sure they are in good shape.  Does the rail where the guide for the door is located need to be lubricated?  Be sure to check the tracks on the roll up door to be sure all the rollers are in good shape and that the track is also lubricated.

If the door was working well before and then started to bind, you will want to find out what has changed so that you will be able to do your own repair.  

Once you have checked for any spots that may be binding and you have lubricated any areas that may need it, try the door again to see if this has solved the problem. 

Your next step will be to check for the amount of up force your garage door opener has.  Usually on the back portion of the garage door opener, there will be two adjustments that control the amount of force that can be applied to the up and down movement of the garage door.  

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Posted 2014-01-21T22:33:59+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+