Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

garbage disposal

i am in a rental and my garbage disposal is completely ruined i need to take it out and put in regular piping. I am needing to know what i need to finish this project. any help is appreciated

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-30T18:15:11+0000  by nicolelittle222 nicolelittle222

I too have a burned out disposer that needs replacing.  If you click on Chris - on of the 'taggers' listed on the right had side of the page and scroll down a bit - you will find a list of 'jobs' he has helped out with.  One of them is for a 3/4 horsepower garbage disposer.  In the reply is a link to click on for 'garbage disposer install.'  I read it and it looks like it contains instructions on how to install a disposer.  I don't know if this is what you are looking for but it might be.  Good luck!

Posted 2011-01-30T19:09:49+0000  by Stumpy

Hello nicolelittle222, and welcome to the community.

So you say you want to "put in regular piping" I'll assume you mean to remove the old broken disposal unit and put in plumbing without the disposal?

You will need to turn off the power at the circuit breaker that feeds the disposal--you may need to hire an Electrician to disconnect the wire under the sink if you are not familiar or uncomfortable with doing that yourself.

In the picture below you need to remove the disposal (red arrow). You will need a new drain to replace the where the disposal used to be. Once that is done then you will need to duplicate the plumbing that existing on the other side (see blue arrow) so it the new plumbing will look like the picture without the disposal unit.

Take a few picture of your area under the sink just like the one below and take those pictures to new nearest Home Depot. They can determine what fittings you will need to get the job done, you may have to replace a few pieces of plumbing you currently have in order to accomplish this project, and they will recommend tools to do the job that you might not have.

Please post pictures of the "Before & After" on this project, and let us know if we can help any further.

disposal replaced with regular plumbing.JPG

Posted 2011-01-31T15:43:38+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+