Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

get electricity across screened porch

I have a deck with part of it being screened porch. Unfortunately the external outlet is inside the porch so I cannot connect electrical wires to the outlet without the porch door opened. What are the options for me to get the electricity inside out? I have thought about adding another external outlet outside the porch, or simply drill a hole somewhere and run the electrical cable through. 
Any suggestions? 
Thanks.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-02T19:46:01+0000  by yingzi yingzi

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking but just to clarify, it is not safe to drill a hole in the wall and run an extension cord through it.

It's generally pretty easy to "extend" a circuit that is inside the house to outside as long as you stay in the same stud bay or even an adjacent one.  Once you're outside, it's generally easier to use surface mounted metal or plastic conduit to go from box to box.  Outside you do need to use outdoor boxes and everything needs to be GFCI protected.

If you could post some pictures we can go into greater detail.  If you don't feel comfortable working with electricity, then please hire a licensed electrician to do the work.
Posted 2015-07-04T01:14:27+0000  by Adam444
Thanks for the comments. 
Here is the situation. There is already an outlet outside the house. But it's inside a screened porch. It's not well planned when the porch was added later. 
I'm not trying to drill a hole on the house itself. I'm trying to find a way to bring electricity outside the porch to the rest deck. 
Right now, I have to connect an extension cable to the outlet and run it with the porch door opened. I'm planning to drill a hole big enough on the porch door to run the cable through, which is the cheapest and easiest way. 
Any recommendation?
Posted 2015-07-07T02:34:09+0000  by yingzi
Hello yingzi.  Welcome to the Community!

It is not normal, or safe to drill a hole in either the porch door or wall so that you can pass an extension cord through it.  Easy and cheap it is, but not something you really want to do.

What is normal is to drill a hole in the outside porch wall so that you could install an exterior box and GFCI outlet, giving you a place to safely attach an extension cord.  This assumes that the outlet inside the porch is on an outside porch wall.

On homedepot.com there is a Project Guide that shows you how to do this.
You can find it here:  Adding an Outdoor Outlet

If it is on the house wall, then your best bet would be to install another exterior outlet where you want it on your deck.  The feed would come from inside the house at the most convenient location.  You may want to consider hiring a licensed electrician to complete this task.

Chris.

Posted 2015-07-07T18:53:48+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Thanks Chris. 
I got you and will add another exterior outlet somewhere else from inside the house feed. 

Posted 2015-07-08T02:32:33+0000  by yingzi

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+