Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

glaze coat

I recently had a project where I customized my coffee table, I put glaze coat on it and turned out great... my question is what can I use to clean the table with?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-10T02:22:06+0000  by josephuk007 josephuk007

Hello josephuk007, and welcome to the community!

Can you tell us exactly which product you used and could you please post pictures of your project?

Angelo

Posted 2015-07-10T13:06:28+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI
for future reference, a glaze coat should always have a protective clear coat over it. this assures that it will not readily wear off and that it it will be cleanable with normal household cleaners.

If you did not clear coat it, I would suggest using a natural soap such as Murphy's Oil Soap and even Ivory dishwashing liquid. Avoid any product containing ammonia or alcohol, as these can attack products of an acrylic (latex) nature.
Posted 2015-07-11T01:34:08+0000  by ordjen
Excellent advice Ordjen,

Ammonia or alcohol will quickly break down the glaze coat.

Oil-based clear coats will also damage the glaze.

I typically advise my customers to maintain the aged appearance by foregoing the clear coat.

However, our friends at Varathane now have a matte finish water-based clear coat.

This product can be applied over water-based glaze without damaging the artwork or creating a shiny appearance.

So, if you choose to add a protective coating, think Varathane Matte Finish.
Posted 2015-07-14T15:02:50+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
 An oil based protective varnish or urethane should not harm the glaze so long as it is completely dried. However, be aware that all oil products have a slight amber or yellow look which can distort the appearance of the glaze.

Years ago I was doing a blue glaze technique on paneling in a family room. We applied a protective coat of oil varnish over the glaze. The next morning, the room had a distinct green look! We had to completely start over with a new blue base coat and glaze over it. It was a two day setback!
Posted 2015-09-03T06:44:58+0000  by ordjen
Outstanding addition to the thread Ordjen!

Your real world examples make it so clear ... especially for our DIYers who have never used glaze and clear coat together.

Your Key: "so long as it (the glaze) is completely dry" you can apply the clear coat.

Your Example: "We applied a protective coat of oil varnish over the (blue) glaze. The next morning the room had a distinctive green look. We had to start completely over."

The Takeaway: Allow the glaze to completely dry before any additional treatment.

You "Nailed It" once again, Ordjen!
Posted 2015-09-03T15:38:43+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+