Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

glaze for Rustoelum Transformations kit for cabinets

Hi!  I purchased the Rustoleum Transformations kit for my kitchen cabinets in Espresso.  I am on the glazing section now.  I've tried different techniques, and have found that applying it with a foam brush and then wiping it off with the enclosed cloths looks the best.  It looks great on the wood grain, however, on the face of the cabinets where there isnt a lot of grain, it looks smudged.  Especially in some of the cracks where I wiped up excess stain that was pooling.  Are there any tips anyone can give me?  I've noticed so many people have had great results using this product and I just missed a how-to class at my local Home Depot (I was out of town).  The cabinets do look great, but I'm hoping I can make them look professional and not have smudges.  Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-02-27T16:36:01+0000  by SpongeBobsMom SpongeBobsMom

I am glad you have had some good results with your project.  With this product - anything that your not happy with can be remedied simply by adding another coat of the base and re-glazing. Sometimes you may need to tape off the area with "low adhesive" painting tape to keep them from getting additional paint on them.

Using a dry brush for the smoother large sections will simulate the wood grain that is not present.  Wipe off most of the glaze from the bristles and brush in the direction of the natural wood grain.  Remember that nothing is final with this product until you apply the clear top coat.

Hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

Posted 2012-02-27T17:47:40+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL
I've actually already tried this in my "sample" of techniques (the Rustoleum transformations website calls this the "dry brush" technique)... it came out streaky, like a 3 yr old was trying to paint. I took my time and did not rush through it, then tried to make sure I used even pressure when wiping off the excess. Any other tips?
Posted 2012-02-27T19:10:47+0000  by SpongeBobsMom

I have experienced that myself and know exactly what you are referring to.  The problem with smooth surfaces is that without any noticeable wood grain to guide you - a "faux" effect will have to be the way to go.  In other words, the appearance of a wood grain that is not actually there will have to be created.

This can be a little tricky and may need to be attempted a couple of times on a practice piece.  Try re-coating the surface like you were going to do in your original post. Then try a mix of the sponge brush, wiping, and then very lightly going over that surface with the brush.  maybe not over every square inch but just a hint here-and-there.

cab.jpg

Home Depot also has a graining tool that will simulate wood grain on any smooth surface.  It too will need some practice - but gives amazing realistic results.

5ba3420f-bc00-4678-b387-d7cab06b245e_300.jpg         grain.jpg

Posted 2012-02-27T19:37:40+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

thank you so much for the quick response and TWO tips!  I cant wait to go home and try the brush tip first.  If that doesnt work, I will go to HD and purchase one of those fake wood stamps.  Thanks again!  Every time I post on here,a HD associate is always so quick to respond.  Great customer service, and us DIY "wannabe's" are so appreciative.

Posted 2012-02-27T20:26:27+0000  by SpongeBobsMom

Hello Again SpongeBobsMom!

You are squarely in the middle of our DIY Community ... glad to see you're back and thrilled that you're making your projects work!

Although you've gotten great information from Kevin, I thought you might like to see what other members of The Community are doing to solve problems like this.

In an earlier post, a young lady said she liked the faux glazed look, but was not interested in the traditional appearance. On her cabinet project, we used the wood graining tool on her center panels and gold metallic around the perimeter to "frame" the wood grain.

Have a look.

Another Community Member used Martha Living Metallic Glaze to refinish a "Half-moon" desk. She applied the glaze and wiped it off after only two-minutes using lint-free rags.

Here is another outstanding example.

So, as you can see, your solution could include numerous different approaches.

APPLICATION NOTE: The key to working with faux glaze is to establish a wipe-off timeline. Since glaze dries in about 30-minutes, you'll want to wipe no later than 20- to 25-minutes. As the glaze becomes drier, you will see the noticeable streaking you mentioned. Overcome this by wiping your glaze earlier ... try 10-minutes or 15-minutes on your test board and I'm certain you'll get rid of those streaks!

Finally, choose a look that matches your decor and "features" your cabinet doors. Then experiment on a test board to establish a repeatable technique for your cabinet bases.

Posted 2012-02-28T15:30:57+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

I used it on smooth laminent cabinets and found that using a good brush in one direction, with one continuous wipe with the glazing cloth in the same direction, and followed with a dry brush in the same direction worked well. dry bushing also cleaned out and puddling in the seams. almost makes the laminent look like it has a grain.

Posted 2013-03-13T03:07:54+0000  by piper1233

Outstanding Technique Piper1233!

The technique you describe is the purest way to create faux wood grain.

Those long, flowing strokes re-create the appearance nature instills in wood.

Do The Community a favor and post photos when you have the time.

Posted 2013-03-14T14:39:47+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+