Sign In to join the community | Help
Appliances

hampton bay ceiling fan model 54-or upc code 082392702267

Just bought a house with this fan in the bedroom. It is currently controlled by a wall switch with five positions, beginning from the left most, off, low, med, high and off. It controls the speeds fine and the light is controlled from a normal wall switch.
The problem is the fan is in winter mode and there is no switch on the fan. After much research it appears this unit is supposed to be controlled by remote but the previous owner had no info as the fan was installed by the folks they bought from. I ordered a Hampton Bay remote just to see if it would work, of course, it did not.
This unit is installed as a hugger and there is no room to remove the sconce to look for a receiver. I have been trying unsuccessfully to find a user/installation manual to see if would give me any info.
I basically have two questions, one, can you help me locate a manual and two, can you briefly explain the wall switch? I have never experienced a wall switch that turned a unit off both clockwise and counterclockwise.
Also, sorry if I selected the wrong category for my question.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-01-07T15:50:26+0000  by Bigrog100 Bigrog100

Hey Bigrog100,

Thanks for stopping by here on the community.

It sounds like your wall switch is the transmitter to the receiver inside the fan's canopy where it meets the ceiling.

Simply buying a remote and not replacing the receiver (because that's the other portion needed to make it work) won't solve your problem.

From everything you have described to us, you'll need to replace the receiver in its entirety if you want to reverse the direction of your fan. And you will HAVE to take down the ceiling fan to do this...there is unfortunately no other way around it.

As for the owner's manual, it's not really needed (plus I couldn't track it down) as long as you wire up the receiver per the manufacturer's instructions.

You can also contact Hampton Bay directly at their number below.

Image result for hampton bay customer service

They can offer you more information regarding troubleshooting and even getting you the proper owners manual.

Again, to make your fan have its blades turn the other direction, the entire fan must be taken down (since the receiver is inside the canopy that is flush-mounted).

If you need a helper and a sturdy ladder, it's easier to do than you think. For any other questions, please feel free to contact us here.

Joseph

Posted 2017-01-09T16:09:42+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Just now getting back to this. I appreciate your comments and had already come to that conclusion. Problem is I bought a remote just to try it. Oh well, guess I will have 2 remotes.
Thanks again.
Posted 2017-01-28T20:34:14+0000  by Bigrog100

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+