Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

hanging a rug on the wall for soundproofing

Hi People, 

Long time since I posted, I was the guy, AM the guy, with the "sewer" small backyard that got re-sodded 4 times, then went to plain dirt, and the final conclusion, unhappily for myself and my dog Billy, who is STILL alive, by the way!, was to pay, yes I had to pay! $1300 to have the backyard area covered in concrete, and a very bad job at that!

But, that's not why I write I have new neighbors that haven't lived in an apartment in 35 years or more, they lost their house and had to move here and they are very bitter and NOT nice to their neighbors. Unfortunately, he is almost stone deaf and turns his tv up to the top volume and it's right against my wall, and he has a theater sized sound-bar! He told me that, with pride! When I asked him to turn it down!!!!

This has been going on for a year and a half and I've done everything I can think of other than, well, we won't go there, lol. 

So, I have been searching for ideas other than turning up my tv to block it out, because I have very sensitive hearing, I can hear things a dog hears, lucky me, right?

I read on this site somewhere about hanging a rug on the wall, which is about 25 feet wide and 12 feet tall, I'm guessing, I haven't measured it yet. 
Has anyone done this? Does it work? What's the least expensive way to do it? Remember, this is an apartment that has been taken over by the Borg, I mean a Corporation, (I WON'T be assimilated!), and I can't do any "work" on the walls, like putting something inside of them. I don't even know if i can put something on the outside of them! LOL

Any ideas would be appreciated and I'll try to get some pics of the "backyard" to post for you all one of these days.

Thanks,
David and Billy
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-01-21T03:57:30+0000  by buclkysdad1 buclkysdad1

Hi David and Billy,

In an earlier thread, several Community Members discuss Hanging a Rug on the Wall.

In your case, the density of the material will be directly proportional to sound deadening ... woven wool will be denser than cotton and create greater sound deadening.

You can also be decorative in the process.

Changing colors, patterns, and texture will add aesthetics to your space.

As far as approval from your landlord, be certain to obtain permission before beginning.

An alternative may be building a freestanding frame to eliminate the need to attach directly to the wall.
Posted 2016-01-21T16:54:02+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Hey David...and Billy!

While just hanging a rug sounds like a great sure-fire idea, it won't solve anything to prevent sound reduction. 

You'll really need a sound proofing material to at minimum help dissipate it, and a fabric backed rug, no matter how thick, just won't do it.

Sound reducing materials aren't usually sold at your local Home Depot, and unless you just add more wall (which you can't do and gets expensive), simply purchase an online item that is perfect for your situation. Anything cheap, flimsy,  or that isn't made for sound reduction (like a rug) will NOT work, causing you to waste time and money. 

While this item below isn't expensive, it will work for getting the sound down from that deadbeat neighbor. Click here and view the image below to see it.

If you are renting, you can simply use one or multiple layers of these panels over the noisy wall. Most landlords (I rent too, so I know) will give you your deposit back on your unit if you remove it before moving out. Simply screw or nail it to the wall, but refrain from using any adhesives, and it can be the best temporarily solution from all that noise.

As a last resort, if you haven't done so already, you can get the property manager involved as well as law enforcement. Noise violations are a real thing, and can be issued....but consider that a final alternative.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2016-01-23T18:48:07+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+