Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

hiding a cord from a hanging light / turning a pandant into a sconce

I have these hanging laterns that I prchased for our master bedroom that are unbelieveably beautiful (and unbelieveably expensive). I didn't actually think of how I was going to hang them on either side of the bed, I was more interested in the fact that they were PERFECT for the room. Here are the specifics; They are globe shaped. They hang by a 12 foot cord. I need them to be basically be hanging sconces. I have no idea how I'm going to mount them, I have no idea how I'm going to get them to suspend out from the wall, and I have no idea what I'm going to do with the cord. I've thought about running it behind the wall (cutting a hole where I want it to be and then running the cord in the wall and out another hole down at the plug. But then, that only solves one problem. The other 2 have got me stumped.

I cannot do pvc or galvanized as a way to suspend this from the wall as it wont fit the look of the room. So, I'm at a dead end.

Also, what can I use to cover or "hide" the holes I make in the drywall??

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-24T18:24:44+0000  by MzDomke MzDomke

Hey  MzDomke,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

I bet the fixtures you have are indeed beautiful. In terms of how they will look and hang, could you upload an image or send us a link to the fixture? Once I can see the fixture, I can see how it can be exactly hung as a sconce.

As for your 12 foot cord, you can run the cord into the wall as you stated and then have it come out near a receptacle. I am with you with not using PVC or metal pipe, but you can use Wiremold to hide the wires in one section or in the entire 12 foot length if you wish.

Wiremold looks like the white raceway shown in the image below, but remember, you can paint it in a color that matches your wall.

wiremold.jpg

You can use a portion, or all of the wire section, to cover up the wire. If you do decide to place it behind the wall, using Wiremold or a furniture hole cover can help you not give the cord a rough look coming out of the wall.

2 in. Furniture Hole Cover - Beige 

Keep us updated on exactly how the fixture is mounted....you may or may not need a junction box to place in the wall first. Knowing exactly how the light is made we assist us further in assisting you for a solution, so I hope to hear from you soon.

Joseph

Posted 2013-06-08T21:41:57+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+