Sign In to join the community | Help
Appliances

hot water heaters

I'm concerned about our hot water heater, and whether it needs replacing. We still have no issue with needing hot water, but the bottom of the water tank is scorched and rusted. The tank is approx 46-47 yrs. old, which is the age of the house.To my "recollection", we have never replaced it. My husband is recently passed, he would know for certain!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-02-04T16:54:40+0000  by harriedmary harriedmary

Hello harriedmary.  Welcome to the Community!

Wow!  A 46 year old water heater is pretty amazing.

I live in the Chicago area.  For the city and suburbs which pipe water in from Lake Michigan, that naturally soft water can allow water heater tanks to last for decades.  Once you live far enough away from the city and use well water though, that situation reverses.  Hard well water can kill heater tanks prematurely, even in just a few years due to the sediment that forms inside the bottom of the tank, and the corrosive nature of the water itself rusting the tank as well.

The average age one should expect a gas, tank type water heater to last is 10-12 years.  As you can see, there can be a wide variation from average.

How do I know if I need a new water heater?
There are several signs that may indicate your water heater might be failing:

•  Water buildup in or around the area of your water heater may suggest a leak.
•  Water-quality issues, such as rust or sediment visible in your water supply, could indicate the unit may fail soon..
•  The unit no longer provides the same temperature or duration of hot water as it had in the past.  

As old as your heater is, I would recommend replacing it even though it does not leak and seems to work just fine.

A new heater will certainly be more energy efficient, and waiting for your old unit to start leaking all over the floor just does not sound like a good time to me.  The rust on the outside shell of the unit does not concern me, but the "scorched bottom" does.  At least replacing it will not have to be an emergency call for help.

Home Depot offers water heater installation.

To set up an appointment for an installer, call the number below.  For more information about our installation process, click on the picture below.

Get It Installed.png

For more Frequently Asked Questions on Water Heaters,  Click the picture below:

Heater FAQs.png

To see our selection of tank type gas water heaters, click here.

Is this what you are looking for?

Chris.

Posted 2014-02-04T17:59:26+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+