Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

how can i sound proof my whole trailer.....cheapest but effective way

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-22T22:16:40+0000  by barbie22 barbie22

Howdy Barbie22,

Allow me to be the first to welcome you to the Home Depot community. We share our expertise, opinions, and welcome yours as well. So without further ado, let's see about getting your trailer soundproofed.

The idea of soundproofing is similar to insulating. You have to understand that sound travels through thin and solid material so we need to keep vibrations from traveling from one material to the next. So read on to see some ideas.

One of the most overlooked losses of heat is through the floor. Check the skirting around the trailer to see if it is vented. If it is, consider putting mostly non vented skirting on the north side or plant wind blocking year round shrubbery.

Another idea is to remove the old insulation. Sometimes this bunches up and is useless. You could use some barrier foil insulation (foil lined bubble wrap) and glue or staple it about an inch below the subfloor in each space between the floor joists.

I've heard people use some plastic mesh screen for holding cellulose insulation and stretched it tight and stripped it across the floor joists and blew in cellulose insulation in between each floor joists. It not easy but the difference it made was unbelievable.

While you are under there, you will be able to see all the water lines and the old HVAC ducting. If the ducting is separated, either reattach the pieces back together or tape the holes off with foil tape. I would just tape them off unless you intend on replacing the HVAC.

You could consider replacing the entire duct with flex duct. The ducting on most older trailers I have seen are insulated metal, leak air and are not very efficient. While under there, it would be a good time to check the water lines to make sure they are insulated too.

If the water heater has a door outside for access, consider removing the door and attaching a piece of ductboard (foil lined fiberglass insulation board)to its entire inside surface. Be sure to allow for the vents if it is a gas or propane water heater. Remember, safety is important.

One last note: Your local trailer retailer might have some ideas for you that we might not have touched on.

Happy insulating,

Posted 2013-05-24T00:46:28+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+