Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

how do I fix loose drywall nails

We have an old farm house that we are repainting.  Some of the drywall nails have come loose.  Do we nail them back in and if so what do I use either mud or spackling?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-16T01:51:44+0000  by Douglas-carol Douglas-carol

Pull the nail and use a drywall screw somewhat longer than the nail (so it has some fresh wood to "bite" into), driving it so that it is just below the surface.  Then use spackle or drywall mud to cover the screw head.   

Posted 2013-10-16T02:20:22+0000  by Adam444

I would agree with pulling the nail, but not with putting a screw it in the same spot. Once the the drywall paper has been broken, the strength and integrity of that area has been lessened.  Instead, use two screws about 3 inches on both sides of the old nail. Often when nails have been loose for some time, there is a sagging of the drywall. The screws in new locations will aid in cinching it up tight to the joist .

Ceiling nails popping close to the corner may be simply pulled and patched. When drywall is installed, the ceiling goes up first and the wall panels are jambed up against the ceiling. Once the walls are firmly in place, the ceiling nails are actually kind of redundant.

Posted 2013-10-16T04:11:42+0000  by ordjen

What ordjen said - two drywall screws spaced somewhat apart is a MUCH better idea!

Posted 2013-10-16T14:24:28+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+