Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

how do I fix my pull chain to my fan?

OK so ive been looking this up for awhile and I'm starting to go crazy. I have a Hampton bay 3 speed fan. I have no idea what the model number is... I believe I have a triple capacitor in it. On the front of the capacitor it has a 0 that splits into the three different "uf"s a 4.5 a 5 and a 6. It also has 4 wires out of the top. So I bought a pull chain from home depot that said 3 speed 4 wire switch with pull chain for triple capacitor. I open it and its double layered... So my questions are is it a triple capacitor? If so is the switch supposed to be double layered? Can I put my four wires in the switch and leave the others open without a problem? Do I have the wrong part? I don't wanna use the wrong piece and burn something out.... I believe the one 4 wire switch they have at my home depot is a single capacitor... I don't know if using one for a single will affect a triple capacitor fan... I'm just lost... And really ready to have my fan and bedroom light back... PLEASE HELP? Thanks ahead of time...
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-04-10T18:49:37+0000  by CitySlackah CitySlackah

Hello CitySlackah.  Welcome to the Community!

I'm not sure what you mean by double layered, but the switch you have should look like this one:
Westinghouse Dual-Capacitor 3-Speed Fan Switch
Before you remove the wires from the old switch, mark them with a masking tape tag writing down the terminal number each wire goes to.  They are L, 1, 2 and 3.  If you put the wire in the same place on the new switch then all should be good.

Chris.

Posted 2015-04-10T21:50:53+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
It does look like that from that view but when you turn it to the side its double layered or stacked there are ports for the wires under the L,1,2,3 and under those ports are another set.. One under each of the previous ones respectively so it can hold a total of 8 wires.. If I plug my four in can I just leave the others unused... I tried putting a picture up but it won't let me
Posted 2015-04-12T20:41:16+0000  by CitySlackah
there the one on the left of the first picture is double layered the one on the right is single... The second picture is just a double layered one
Posted 2015-04-12T20:46:03+0000  by CitySlackah
Hey CitySlackah.

"...If I plug my four in can I just leave the others unused..."

Yes.  That should work just fine.

Chris.

Posted 2015-04-14T14:37:47+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Thank you so much Chris... 
Posted 2015-04-14T20:10:44+0000  by CitySlackah

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+