Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

how do I install a programmable thermostat

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-06T14:40:37+0000  by diypete diypete

Hi there diypete,

I’m Jen, from The Home Depot.  Thank you for your question.

What brand and model programmable thermostat do you have?  With more specific information, we can further help you.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Posted 2013-06-06T15:10:40+0000  by Jen_HD_BOS

Hi Jen,

Thanks for the reply. I have bought 2 Honeywell RTH2300/ 221B series programmable from my local home depot store in Loganville GA. Ihave 2 systems in my home both with exterior heat pumps.

The first system provides heat and AC via a gas furnace and as mentioned combined heat pump. The wiring to the thermostat for this system consists of:

one white connected to a white terminal

one green connected to a green terminal

one yellow connected to a yellow terminal

one blue connected to a red terminal

and one red wire that is not connected to any terminal in the existing thermostat which is an emerson model.

I believe I can connect the white,green and yellow to the corresponding terminals on the new honeywell thermastat marked  with the letters  W,G and Y. ,,I am a little unsure about the blue wire but believe it should probably be connected to the R on the new honeywell thermostat. There are two mode settings on the new thermostat ,one is factory set at "gas and oil" and the other is for "electric or heat pump" I believe I should leave it set at "gas and oil"

The second system is heat and AC via an electric heat exchanger with an exterior heat pump. The existing "Emerson" thermostat has 6 wires connected to it.

one white connected to a white terminal

one green connected to a green terminal

one red connected to a red terminal

one black connected to a black terminal

one orange connected to an orange terminal

one yellow connected to a yellow terminal

I believe I should just connect each colored wire to the corresponding letter ( B,O,G,Y,W and R) in the new honeywell thermastat and set the mode to" electric or heat pump"

Can you advise please

Posted 2013-06-06T17:36:15+0000  by diypete

Hello diypete and welcome to the community!

I will be responding back very soon with an answer, I'm just waiting to receive more infomation from Honeywell. 

Angelo

Posted 2013-06-07T13:55:10+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Thanks Angelo,

I look forward to hearing from you

Posted 2013-06-07T14:03:39+0000  by diypete

Hi diypete, 

Sorry I have not received a response back from Honeywell's Technical Service. You may contact them directly at 800-468-1502, you might have better luck when you call. When & if I receive a response, I will post it.

Angelo

Posted 2013-06-07T21:03:39+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Hi  diypete, I got a TWO responses back from Honeywell, and here is what they both had to say:

MESSAGE ONE

Thank you for contacting Honeywell.

Before we comment anything on new installation, it is imperative for you to know that connections are not necessarily color coded. Based on the color of wire, we cannot decide the terminals for wires. That is to say R doesn’t necessarily means Red terminal. So, to avoid confusion let us just call terminals with their letter designations.

For your first system with Gas furnace, feel free to connect Blue wire to R terminal. Make sure you leave the jumper in between R and Rc terminals (If Rc terminal is available at all).

As for your second system that consists of a heat pump, the existing wiring you have provided is not standard. The W , O and B are contradicting each other. Also, Please specify the unused terminals on the existing thermostat. If possible please send us a clear picture of wall plate of existing thermostat.

One last important thing is, we need the complete model number printed inside the front panel of Honeywell thermostat you bought.

Honeywell Customer Care

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MESSAGE TWO

Thank you for contacting Honeywell. My name is Dan. For your thermostats, I believe I have the correct wiring sequence for you for the 4 wire system. The 6 wire systems sounds like you have a heat pump with auxiliary backup heat, in which case the model number you provided will not work. However, you can get an RTH6350D, for that system. The other wiring sequence is as follows:

White-W

Green-G

Yellow-Y

Blue-R with jumper to Rc

You will keep the switch on the back on "Gas or Oil"

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any further questions, I would also recommend calling us at 1-800-468-1502, so an agent can walk you through what to do over the phone.

Posted 2013-06-14T14:52:17+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+