Sign In to join the community | Help
Lumber & Composites

how do I know which board to get to use for support for my couch?

I have a couch that sinks in a little when u sit on it. I would like to get a piece of board to use for support. The size is 69in. Lx23in. W. Which kind of lumber or wood is better to use?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-11-25T14:29:29+0000  by jaquetta jaquetta

I'd probably use a piece of plywood, about 3/8" thick.  Any thinner and it might crack.  Round the corners and edges so it doesn't rip the upholstery.


Or you can try...I haven't used it so I can't tell you if it works.


Posted 2013-11-25T16:02:29+0000  by Adam444

Usually there is already some form of spring support under the base of the couch. Sometimes just a tightly attached fabric is all that supports the cushions.


In your situation I would recommend using a 1/2 - 3/4 inch smooth finished plywood panel.


If the panel is too thin then you run the risk of sagging or warping. Using any other material will yield the same results of sagging over time.


Just lay the panel on top of the base support (below the cushions). You may want to add some double sided carpet tape to the bottom of the panel to prevent it from sliding out.  Also, consider the possibility of the cushions sliding over the surface of the panel. Maybe adding some rubber backed contact paper will help.

Posted 2013-11-25T16:19:23+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question