Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

how do I learn how to frame a bedroom in basement

If someone could list some of the basic steps in order of frameing a bedroom a 15x12 with a closet just for me to get an idea of what id need and first thing to do  Thanks, Julie

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-10T23:29:59+0000  by jg6904 jg6904

I had a similar situation in my basement. My basement was already carpeted so i had to remove the existing carpet, then i measured and marked the dimensions of the bedroom on the floor and snapped a chalk line. to create straight lines. I was fortunate to have a partially unfinished basement so i knew where the existing studs and floor joists were. Then i used pressure treated lumber for the bottom plate and framed up all the walls being careful to place all the studs 16 inches on center. next i framed the door for my bedroom. I was going to install a prehung door so I just framed the opening 1 inch bigger on each side ( add 2 inches to width and height). Make sure to frame a strong header for the door using king studs and jack studs to support the header and cripple studs for the space between the header and top plate. Then i lifted the walls into place and did a dry fit. Once I knew they fit I placed one wall in position and had my brother hold it while i took a hammer drill with a masonry bit and drill through the stud and concrete next to each stud on the bottom plate. Then i hammered concrete anchors into the bottom plate to secure it to the concrete floor. (make sure the pressure treated lumber is your bottom plate) then i just nailed the top plate to the floor joists above. Next you want to do your electrical. By code you must have an outlet on each side of the bed within 2 feet, but i just added an outlet to each wall incase i wanted to move the bed later. My breaker panel was really close by so i did not have a hard time adding a new circut to the panel for my bedroom. You could add a new circut or tap into an existing one. If you are tapping into an existing one make sure you will not overload it. I drilled holes through the studs and fed 14/2 romex with ground through the holes. I nailed plastic one gang recepticle boxes where i wanted an outlet. Then i nailed a plastic one gang box by the door for the light switch and finally a plastic box for the lighting fixture to the ceiling. Once all the wires were fed through to where i wanted them I stripped thesheathing and made all the connections ( i pig tailed all the recepticles together and made sure the light would be controlled by the switch and made sure the recepticles would always be hot). Then i put up my drywall. I used 5/8 inch and standard paper tape. Start with the ceiling then do the walls. Make sure to add corner bead to all outside corners if you have any. Then just mud and tape and mud. let it dry then sand and mud using a bigger knife and repeat one more time. (Make sure you cut out all holes for light fixtures and recepticles...i almost forgot one). Once all joints were pretty flat and tapered I decided to add the doors. So i removed the doors from the frames and placed the frame in the rough opening and used a 4 foot level to check if it was leveld (obviously it wasnt) so i used shims to level the frame. Next i used a finish nailer to nail the frame through the shims into the king jack studs. Then i primed and painted the walls. Then i installed and connected the recepticles, light switch, light, and the new 15 amp breaker in the breaker box (turn off the panel and check all wires with a no contact wire tester and call an electrician if you are not comfortable, its very easy tho). Next i cut the base bpard and door casing. I used as finish nailer to install those. I installed the baseboard 3/4 inch higher than the floor for carpeting. Then i just installed taack strips, padding and carpeting.

Some of the tools you will need are:

hammer

hammer drill

plumb bob

tape measure

pencil

speed square

chalk line

circular saw

utility knife

screw drivers

wire strippers

Some tools that make it easier are

air compressor (6 gallon or more 3cfm @ 90 psi atleast)

21 or 28 degree framing nailer

finish nailer

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY DONT FORGET CONFIDENCE!!!!

I always measure twice and cut once, have a plan, and check your work.

Good luck and ask if you have questions and just to let you know i am a 21 year old who has never take any construction classes in my life nor do i know any contractors and im a information systems major so if i can do it you can too.

Posted 2014-01-11T05:38:37+0000  by bir763896

I would strong suggest you pull a permit for your project.  It will add to the cost but can save you a lot of hassle down the road!

The first thing you need to consider for a "bedroom" in a basement is a second means of egress.  It could be a door, if you happen to have one.  Otherwise you need a window that meets current egress codes.

Have you had any problems with moisture in your basement?  If so, those need to be addressed before construction starts.  If you have a sump pump adding a backup system, if you don't have one, is highly recommended.

Bir766896's framing suggestions are pretty good although I would suggest that if one or more of the walls of this "bedroom" will be against the foundation that you insulate those walls.  As for electrical, the room needs to meet all current codes for new construction.  Those rules will likely be different than when the house was built.  There is no requirement for receptacle placement by the bed, how would an electrician know where you want to place the bed?  Generally speaking they need to be placed no more than 12' apart and on any wall longer than 3'.  Unless you add an overhead light, you'll need to switch one to control lighting.  They will need to be arc-fault protected.  There are also specific requirements for lighting in a closet.  You can not tap into any old circuit.  Any number of circuits have specific requirements and it may simply be easier to run a new circuit for this room.

The general order of construction would be:

1. Rough framing
  2. Rough electrical 
  3. Drywall (hang, tape, mud, sand)
  4. Paint
  5. Finished carpentry
  6. Finished electrical
  7. Flooring

Hope this answers some of your questions!

Posted 2014-01-11T14:33:55+0000  by Adam444

Thank you so much for your detailed response.  Im just trying to figure out what the best floor type would be and the cheapest then im goling to try to tackle it  Thanks again, Julie

Posted 2014-01-11T14:41:04+0000  by jg6904

Julie,

A ever project pretty much has a minimum cost.  You're going to need x number of studs, y sheets of drywall, and z receptacles.  You can't leave out of a few studs or skip a receptacle.  Floor has plenty of options but I'd think basic carpeting would be a good way to go with a "bedroom" if for no other reason than it's warmer underfoot.

I don't want to discourage you but with the number of home improvement TV channels it's hard not to believe that every project turns out perfectly in 22 minutes.  There's a lot of things that go into building a room and what's important to remember is that every step directly impacts the next step.  If, for example, you don't pick through the pile and choose nice straight studs, the drywall you hang on those studs isn't going to be flat and the best paint in the world isn't going to fix that.  

I remember getting a call from a homeowner who after 3-4 months of working on his basement and not making much progress, wanted to know how much it would cost to finish the project.  He had done the framing himself and there were so many mistakes that it would have been cheaper simply to rip everything out and just from start from scratch.  Understand that as a pro I was looking at the complete project and at the end, if it looked like crap, he wasn't likely to answer the question about who did his basement with, "Well, I really screwed up..."

It's really about the entire process and thinking the project through.  You really need to be continuously asking yourself, "If I do this, how will it impact what I need to do next."

Posted 2014-01-11T15:46:17+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+