Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

how do I prep for a brand new lawn?

A friend of mine is purchasing a house and is planning on closing it the beginning of next month. The back yard is weeds and dirt, not a single blade of grass. What all are we going to need to get grass before we end up with mud for the winter? This is about 15 miles outside of seattle as the crow flies.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-07T08:22:05+0000  by rothery2 rothery2

Hey rothery2.

I am sure they are grateful to have a friend like you. There are several options for this project and there are some things to know before going forward with this project.

First, we need to pick the right type of grass for the area. For a full sun area, our options are abundant. If there is abundant shade then there are a couple other options.

You can not kill weeds and put down seeds. Weed killers like Weed B Gon (2-4D) will prevent seed germination for 1 month and now is the ideal time for grass seeds like Bermuda, Centipede and Zoysia grasses. Since there is no grass in the back, it would be fine to spray Round Up and then seed 10 days later.

If your budget is friendly for putting down sod in the backyard then you can spray Round Up down and then put down sod 1 week after spraying.

Write me back here and let me know which way we are leaning towards this project and answer me these questions.

Were we wanting to do seed or sod?

How much sun does this area get? Full sun partial sun?

Posted 2013-07-07T15:07:41+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

It is going to be in full sun. There a few spots around the edges that are shaded in late afternoon, but they aren't real big. Probably not going to go with sod due to the cost involved. We can't do anything until after escrow closes so this will all start happening early to middle of august. Also the dirt that is there is just that. Dirt. Not topsoil or anything like that. It looks like it's been barren for at least six months so it's probably going to need some help to be able to support the grass.

Posted 2013-07-08T02:34:43+0000  by rothery2

Hi rothery2,

August and September are the ideal months to seed fescue and it grows well in sun and shade.

Spend time before seeding preparing the soil. Top soil is regular soil that is rich in organic matter. You can add organic matter in the form of compost or soil conditioner to improve the texture of the soil.

Aerate, or till, the soil, add the compost or seeding soil and aerate again to further incorporate the amendment. Apply seed and starter fertilizer and cover it with wheat straw to keep everything in place.

The fescue will germinate in a couple of weeks and will become established this fall. It stays green in winter and fully matures next spring. Overseed next fall to add thickness and to fill in any gaps.

Travis

Posted 2013-07-09T14:57:01+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+