Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

how do I redo a suede painted room?

I have a suede painted room that needs to be redone.  I wouldn't mind staying with same color but do I need to redo it in suede paint or is it possible just to repaint?  If so, how is this done.  If I have to redo the suede with suede paint, how do I do this?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-16T13:12:48+0000  by laroth laroth

Hello Laroth!

Thank you for your questions! :)

You don't have to stay with the suede paint. If you like the texture, you can paint right over it with regular wall paint. If you don't like the texture and you would like a smooth finish, you will have to sand the wall smooth with a pole sander.

Unfortunately,  Home Depot stopped selling Ralph Lauren paint about 4 years ago. With that, the specialty finishes also went away, meaning we do not sell the suede paint any more. I honestly do not know who sells suede paint, so if you would like to keep the suede texture, you will have to do some research for that. Do be aware that another brand, and even if you find Ralph Lauren's suede paint, has a high chance of not looking the same because of different manufacturers. 

In short, you have options. :) Please let us know if you have any more questions!

Christine :)

Posted 2013-10-16T14:53:09+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Laroth,

I would agree with Christine that you may simply paint over the old suede paint with conventional paint if you wish to retain the texture.  Where I would disagree, is the ease of sanding away the old texture, especailly a texture that literally contains grit. Acrylic based paints just don't sand well. They have somewhat of a gummy film that clogs up the sandpaper.  Further, the grit in the texture prevents the sandpaper from really grabbing hold.

If you want to return to truly flat walls, troweling the entire surface with a thin coat of drywall topping compound will fill in the old texture. The surface is then sanded with about 120 grit drywall sandpaper on a sanding block. A sanding block is neccessary to avoid waviness in the wall. Finally, when smooth, the entire wall should be primed with a dedicated primer. This is tedious, messy and dusty, but it is not brain surgery.

I have never been a big fan of textured wall finishes, not because I don't like their appearance, but as a lifelong painting contractor,  I know what is involve in returning walls to their orignal state. The same holds true for stripes on walls. They make ridges which are difficult to get rid of short of redoing a whole wall. Again, those ridges just don't sand out and will be visible under the new coat of paint. If one merely tries to spackle over the ridges, now a super smooth patch results that does not match the old roller texture of past paint jobs. Again, extraordinary measures are neccessary to cure the problem.

In my former home, I lived for 30 years with a fairly heavy stucco texture on the kitchen walls. Fortunately, the original owner had done a good job of applying it, because the only way to get rid of it would have been to replace the drywall, and It didn't "bug" me that much!

Ruminations of an ol' perscnickety painter  :) 

Posted 2013-10-17T05:11:35+0000  by ordjen

Thanks, you have answered my question for me.  I will just paint over it with the same color.  

Posted 2013-10-19T00:07:03+0000  by laroth

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+