Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

how do get german hornats away

A customer came into the my store asking about how do get german hornats away from your house they are always flying around out side my kitchen window at night but they never see them during the day
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-10-19T01:53:10+0000  by Prince_Of_GardenHD02 Prince_Of_GardenHD02

I had never heard of German (European) hornets until you message but from what I've read unlike other hornets and wasps are active at night and attracted to light.  Some folks claim  they are rather shy and don't attack unless provoked but I could certainly understand your customer's fear.  I don't like flying, stinging insects either!

I assume there is a nest somewhere near their house and to get rid of the hornets, the customer would have to get rid of the nest.  Sounds like a job for a professional though.  In many parts of Europe they are a protected species and in Germany killing them can result in a fine up to 50,000 Euros!
Posted 2016-10-19T09:33:18+0000  by Adam444
Howdy Prince_Of_Garden02,

The European hornet is most active in the early spring and summer, but has been known to show during warmer days in the winter.

The aggressiveness of this pest depends on the proximity of humans to their nest, and any action to destroy or remove it.

Unlike the similarly shaped (yet considerably smaller) yellow jacket, the European hornet is not typically aggressive toward people.

The first thing that can be done is to check your eaves during daylight hours and locate the hive(s) if possible. After nightfall, this is when a product such as: Real Kill, Ortho, or Spectracide can be sprayed. Do not try this during daylight hours or you may be stung.

The reason they are spotted during nighttime is they are attracted to the light in the kitchen/house. An outside bug zapper is another option to keep them at bay.

Happy hunting,
Coach Dave
Posted 2016-10-21T00:56:39+0000  by Dave_HD_OC
I have had a hornet's nest build outside my home.

For several evenings, I noticed flying insects tapping on one of my windows. We went to investigate and got stung! After we retreated back into the house, we observed through the window and found that they were Bald Faced Hornets. They were very aggressive at that time, because it was after sunset and before dark. They were finished working for the day and were entering the hive.

This is when they are most aggressive and also, when their numbers are greatest. I observed from a safe distance(about 20 feet) and located the entrance hole into the hive.

The following day, we waited for the hornets to congregate. We observed from the safety of out living room. When it was completely dark, I got a flashlight and a can of Wasp and Hornet Spray and positioned myself about 10 feet from the hive.

I shined the light on the hole, took aim and emptied that can of hornet spray into the nest. I sprayed from ten feet away and walked closer while spraying. No hornets swarmed.

Mission accomplished, there was no activity the next day. To be safe, I cut the branch that held the nest and placed the entire nest into a chest freezer for two weeks. I still have that nest.

-Travis
Posted 2016-10-21T12:42:36+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+