Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

how do i brush paint my cabinets to get that old world antique look

im trying to get an old world antique look on my kitchen cabinets. can you help me with this/

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-01T13:05:11+0000  by jennyrandy jennyrandy

Greetings JennyRandy!

I have to do some research on your question, but don’t worry, I’ll write you back as soon as I have an awesome answer.  I would hate for you to miss my response. :(  Please subscribe to this thread so you know exactly when your answer is ready.

While you wait, if you have any more questions, please ask!

Christine :) 

Posted 2013-05-01T15:12:33+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Welcome to our community JennyRandy!

My name is Christine and I work in the paint department at Home Depot. By “old world antique look” do you mean something like this:

Old world look

If this isn’t what you would like, please post a picture of what you have in mind. If it is, read on. The following is a guide for completing this look with a brush.

This look is achieved by painting a solid color first, then sponging on a dark glaze. Since you mentioned doing this with a brush, it will look a little bit different, but the setup is the same.  

If you cabinets are stained or painted currently with oil based paint, you will first want to prime them with an oil based primer.  

After you have primed your cabinets, it’s time to paint. You will want the sheen of this paint to either be satin or semi-gloss. The reason being is because a satin or semi-gloss finish will give you a longer working time with the glaze than a flat or eggshell finish. This is important because you don’t want your glaze to dry too quickly. If it dries too fast, the glaze will look uneven.

Speaking of glaze, we have a few options for you to choose from at Home Depot. Both Martha Stewart and Behr have a faux glaze available. Right off the shelf, the glaze is clear. You will need to add tinted paint to these glazes. The glaze to paint ratio is 4:1. So, if you wanted a gallon of the glaze color, you would purchase 1 gallon of glaze and then, in a separate container, mix 1 quart of paint with the glaze. You will want to mix this very well before continuing.  Choose a glaze color that is darker than your cabinet. People who I have helped in the store will typically choose dark brown for their glaze.

Once your cabinets are painted and your glaze is mixed, the only thing left to do is apply your glaze.  With your brush, dip the tip of your brush into your glaze. Starting in one corner of the cabinet, gently pat the glaze on to the cabinets until the look you would like is achieved. Reload the glaze on to the brush as needed. Make sure you work in small sections at a time with a little bit of overlap to avoid breaks in the pattern.

I hope this is the look you have in mind. Please let us know if it is not, and we will give you instructions on achieving the look you have in mind.

Christine

Posted 2013-05-01T16:40:40+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+