Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

how do i keep birds from eating my grass seed?

what can i use or do to keep birds from eating my grass seed ?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-02-01T19:13:06+0000  by Chamiso Chamiso

Hi Chamiso,

Welcome to The Community! We're glad that you're here!

Deterring birds can be a daunting task. If you're newly seeded yard is the only food source around, it will be tough to keep them at bay. Hopefully, the grass seed is not going to be the only thing the birds can find, so most of the grass will grow.

If your soil is compacted and firm, aerate the area to be seeded before you apply the seed. This will allow the seeds and starter fertilizer to fall into the holes made in the aeration process. Add a light cover of soil with a seed topper , or Lawn Soil to help retain moisture and hide the seeds from sight.

Kellogg Garden Organics 1.5 cu. ft. Topper Lawn Soil for Seed and SodScotts Turf Builder 1.5 cu. ft. Lawn Soil

If your soil is sandy and loose, rake the seeds into soil after you apply the seed to cover the new seeds to a depth of about a quarter of an inch. This will help the seed to stabilize in the soil and germinate better. Of course, Lawn Soil or topper can be added to sandy soil, just like any other soil type.

Spreading wheat straw over the newly seeded area can help hide the seed, and the straw will aid in moisture retention, too. The Home Depot offers erosion controlling Seed Starter mats to cover new grass seed. These are especially helpful on hillsides.

null 4 ft. x 180 ft. Green Single Net Seed Germination and Erosion Control Blanket

Personally, I apply a few extra seeds to my lawn to feed the birds.

Thanks for the question,

-Travis

Posted 2016-02-02T15:48:08+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL
Hi Chamiso.

"
Personally, I apply a few extra seeds to my lawn to feed the birds"
Yes, I do that too...

One thing you also might consider is to use coated seeds, which in addition to having greater drought tolerance also will make them less palatable to birds.

Grass Seed Link

Chris.

Posted 2016-02-02T17:25:35+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+