Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

how hard is it striping linoleum floors and re-wax?

I'm trying to strip my kitchend flooring and hallway, they have like this hospital tiling on them and right now i don't have the funds to replace but definietly want to clean them up.. any suggestions..

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-11-17T13:08:49+0000  by ron224 ron224

if you go to a local tool rental and rent a floor stripper it will make your life easier. To strip off old wax from floors you can use a combo of hot water and bleach or hot water and scouring powder. For the hot water and bleach just mix them together as normal and then mop it onto the floor then use the floor stripper machine, then just mop up the water. For really tuff stains or heavy wax buildup use hot water with scouring powder. Fill a bucket with hot water only. Then mop the hot wate ronto the floor and then sprinkle scouring powder on top. Then get the floor stripper machine and go to work. You will have to mop up a few times becuase the scouring powder will leave a white film on the floor. The floor stripper machine is alos known as a floor maintainer or a buffer. It is available with different pads such as polishing, scouring, and a stripping. To get a high gloss wax shine after stripping use johnson's paste wax or something of that nature and buff it on with the same machine as before. Then use a toilet seat cover underneath the machine to bring up the shine once agian. 

Posted 2013-11-17T17:04:38+0000  by jwentzel

Hi ron224,

Thanks for joining us here on the community!

I see that fellow user jwentzel came up with some great ideas on how to remove old wax from your floors, but if I may, I have a few more for you.

First off, I'd recommend to first use an item shown below. It works easier than a cumbersome floor maintainer/buffer from our Tool Rental at your local store. It is made by the same company that makes our vinyl floors, Armstrong, and customers online and in my store have always given it great reviews.

You would apply this with a sponge mop, and work in small 3' x 3' sections. Allow a few minutes for it to set, and then scrub it with a nylon brush. Wear gloves during this process so as to keep your skin safe.

Take everything up with a sponge mop, this time cleaning up with clean water to ensure your floors look their best again.

In terms of saving you time and money and still work, I'd opt for this above to ensure the (I'm assuming VCT) tiles you have look their best.

Standard Excelon Imperial Texture VCT 3/32 in. x 12 in. x 12 in. Fortress White Vinyl Tile (45 sq. ft. / case)

Lastly, I would NOT recommend ever using paste wax or any wax-based products to be reapplied over your tiles. Doing so would be history literally repeating itself with your situation.

If you have tiles that look like the image above, use a floor polish like the one shown below to give yourself more durable results.Click on it below for more information.

Only apply this or any polish you use after the tiles have been completely cleaned first. Once you do this, you can get them looking a lot cleaner!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions,

Joseph

Posted 2013-11-20T21:21:13+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+