Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

how should I build my hearth

hello my husband and i are putting in a wood stove in our house, its going to be a corner standing fire place. what would be the best way to do the hearth?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-09T04:14:02+0000  by Megs2076 Megs2076

Hi Megs2076,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.

Before you begin, be sure to check with the city for any building code provisions that may need to be met i.e. required distance from the wall and any required reinforcement.   Once you have that information, there are two areas that will need to be heat shielded: The floor below the wood stove and the walls behind it.

Your next step would be to install the ½ inch durock /cement board if you are installing your base over a plywood floor.  Once your cement board has been installed and you have counter sunk your fasteners, fill these holes with a silicone caulking.  Now, you can use any ceramic tile you like.

Durock-Cement Board.jpg

Once your cement board has been installed, you can use any ceramic tile you like (Or whatever style your wife likes!).  Once you have made your tile choice, you can used the pre-mixed thin set or the standard 25 lb bag of thin set. 

Thin set-pre mixed.jpgThin set-Veras Bond.jpg

The purpose of the durock is to provide insulation from the heat emitted by your wood stove.  You could add the same tile to the wall surrounding the stove to increase the reflective heat of your stove.

Before you begin to put down thin set and lay down your tile, do a sample fit first with your tile and spacers.  This will give you an idea of where the tile cuts will need to be.  If you are going to make changes, now is the time to do it.  If you sample fit first and make your needed cuts, you will not have to stop and make your cuts after you have applied the thin set.

Once you are satisfied with the initial setup, your next step will be to mix your thin set and use a notched trowel to add your thin set over the cement board.  Only do a small section, just enough to add 2-3 tiles.  Be sure to use the spacers in between the tiles.  Once you have completed your first row and have added your spacers, lay down more thin set and start on the second row and repeat the same .

Notched Trowl for Thin Set.jpgSpacers 1 half inch.jpg

Allow the thin set to dry for the specified period of time.  Once the thin set has dried, it is time to add the grout.  Using a float tool,  apply the grout at a 45° angle to the space between the tile.

Float tool for grouting tile.jpg

Once the grout has dried, apply a grout sealer and allow it to dry.  Now you are ready to set your stove up.  

Grout Sealer.jpg

Be sure to take pictures of your project and share them with the rest of the community in our Project Library under "I Did This".

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Posted 2013-12-10T17:25:34+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+