Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

how should I measure for a kitchen sink, is it by the opening in the counter?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-14T16:51:10+0000  by steveroberts steveroberts

Hello steveroberts and welcome to the Community.

The ways to measure for a kitchen sink varies depending if you are installing a drop in sink, which rest on top of the counter or an under mount sink.  From your question I am assuming that you already have a hole in your counter.  If your counter top is a laminate you will be using a drop in sink. 

1. To measure the depth, lay a straight edge across the top of the old sink.  Insert a ruler into the sink by the drain.  Read the ruler by the straight edge. That is the depth of your current sink.  You may have room for a deeper sink depending on the size of your garbage disposal, if you have one and location of your plumbing underneath.
  2. Remove your current sink and measure the opening left to right for the width and front to back for the height.

I have included a Kohler Toccata sink for use as an example of how to pick the right size of sink.  This sink is described as 33x22x8.1875.  Listed under the drop down of specifications it states that the cut out is 32-1/2” x21-1/2” with a ½” radius corner.

e66fbd7a-7c04-4ddf-b56d-a4b58b8d5660_145.jpg

Here is a link to an article called selecting the Ideal Kitchen sink which may also be very helpful in deciding which sink is right for you.

I have included a video on replacing a kitchen sink

You have many options when choosing a kitchen sink please visit Home Depot's selection on line.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Kitchen-Kitchen-Sinks/Top-Mount/N-5yc1vZarsaZ1z10i2e

Charlotte

_________________________________________________________________________________

I am a Home Depot Associate trained and authorized to help people on the internet.

Posted 2014-01-14T19:18:54+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+