Sign In to join the community | Help
Customer Care

how to clean fungus from basement

I have fungus in a room in the basement, I need to clean it up do you have any suggestion?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-02-16T18:02:43+0000  by Cano Cano

Absolutely Cano,

MoldControl contains no VOCs (volatile organic compounds) and has almost no odor.

Purchase a gallon and clean the room using a sponge mop slightly damp with MoldControl.

Allow to air dry and then mist the remainder onto involved surfaces to prevent fungus from growing.

Your Tool Rental Associate can provide you a mister which will dispense a mist onto all room surfaces.

The manufacturer suggests, "After surfaces are clean, mist MoldControl onto surfaces until they appear slightly damp."

Then simply allow the surfaces to dry without any additional wiping.

MoldControl is very effective mold and mildew cleaner and lays down a barrier to prevent mold from growing ... remediates without bleach.

FINALLY:
I used this product in a garage after a water heater leak encouraged rapid growth of fungus.

After cleaning and misting the remainder onto the ceiling, walls, and floor, the fungus has shown no signs of returning.

Posted 2016-02-16T20:02:31+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Hello Cano and welcome to the Community.

Pat has sent you in the right direction for killing the fungus with the MoldControl.  MoldControl can also be applied to effected areas with a simple spray bottle if smaller areas are affected.

You should also address the of the source of the problem.  Increase the air circulation in that area with a fan.  If the problem is in a separate enclosed room, try to keep the door open, when ever possible.  Consider using a dehumidifier to remove excess moisture, dampness and musty smell.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2016-02-18T14:14:46+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
You are so right Charlotte,

Evaporating moisture from the area eliminates the host which encourages fungus to grow.

Fans and dehumidifiers are excellent when used together.

Central air conditioning also removes moisture ... simply open the registers and turn on the A/C.

Outside the home you should ensure your gutters and downspouts are directing water away from your home.

A French drain can also be installed to prevent water from ever reaching the foundation.

So, as you point out, the long-term solution really isn't simply cleaning fungus in one area.

Rather, it is about preventing water from invading your home.

NOTE:
Water does more damage to your home than almost any other one thing.

In a related thread, my good friend Ingar includes drawings and step-by-step instructions:
How To Install a French Drain.

FINALLY:
If you need to remove the odor associated with fungus growth, DampRid Odor Genie is a simple-to-use odor eliminator which lasts several months.

Simply peel off the label and place in the offending area.

I use these in my home when the dog comes in wet and shakes off.
Posted 2016-02-18T17:46:30+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+