Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

how to cover up and paint basement floor? 70s vinyl tile, what product should i use?

Hi!

I'm trying to remove the old 70s vinyl tile in my basement. I want a nice inexpensive soultion but don't know how to go about doing this project. I  currently taken out all the tile. I was thinking of painting the floor. What should I do and what products should i use? Any help is appreciated!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-02-04T20:45:42+0000  by kattom2009 kattom2009

Hi Kattom2009,

Now that you have the tile removed I would recommend an epoxy floor paint.

Make sure you have removed all of the vinyl tile adhesive. Use an adhesive remover to strip the floor and then scrub it clean.

Make sure the floor is dry and don't paint if the basement humidity is high.

There are several paints available, including Behr Concrete and Garage Floor Paint and Rust-Oleum Epoxy Shield Floor Paint.

The Behr paint is gray and the Rust-Oleum is tan. Either product will cover your floor with a long lasting finish for under a $100.00.

Stop by your local Home Depot and check them out.

Mike,

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-128-oz-Adhesive-Remover-GKAS94325/100271088

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Premium-1-Gal-902-Slate-Gray-1-Part-Epoxy-Concrete-and-Garage-Floor-Paint-90201/100113293

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-EpoxyShield-2-gal-Tan-High-Gloss-2-Part-Epoxy-Garage-Floor-Coating-Kit-251871/100671423

Posted 2014-02-05T01:06:55+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

There's a good chance the tiles and/or the adhesive from the 70's contained asbestos.  You might want to do a little research before ripping them up.

Posted 2014-02-05T05:20:55+0000  by Adam444

Before painting any concrete flatwork, whether on grade or below grade, it is a good idea to test to make sure that the concrete is not passing moisture up through the surface. To check this, tape a piece of heavy plastic sheeting, such as a piece of gargage bag, securely to the floor along all edges. After 24 hours, pull it and look for moisture on the back side of the plastic.  If moisture is present, you might want to reconsider painting the concrete at all, as continuing adhesion problems may be encountered. The companies that specialize in floor coating will not gaurantee adhesion if moisture is evident.

As to preparing the floor:  the most common reason for paint failure on concrete is not etching the floor, either with acid washing or through use of a concrete abrasion machine. Obvously, if any residue remains from tile mastic, this will have to be removed first.

If proceeding with the Behr One Part Epoxy  Floor Paint on bare concrete , Behr first recommends the use of its #880 Concrete Bonding Primer. The  880 takes several hours to dry before painting.  The One Part Epoxy can be tinted to virtually any color on the Behr pallette, not just the standard gray.

If the RustOleum 2-Part Epoxy is desired, be advised that RustOleum makes a special basement version which is different from the garage version.

Posted 2014-02-05T05:42:25+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+