Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

how to get rid of algae in pool

Could anyone please tell me how to get rid of algae in my swimming pool or if i got the correct info before?

I was told to really super shock my pool and also add algaecide, then let pool pump run for at least 24 hours. After that backwash pool and algae should be dead and sunk to buttom of pool after about 36 hours and all I would have to do then is vaccum it.

Any help is appreciated with this. Thx

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-04-12T14:11:27+0000  by blueeyes blueeyes

Hi blueeyes,

Thank you for your question!  Sounds like you were not adding enough chlorine to your pool during your weekly maintenance along with having a lot of warm sunshine.  When the sun is out, the algae are ready to bloom.  All they need is a little encouragement from the ultra violet rays and a slight injection of heat and you get an algae bloom!  

Using the algaecide along with the shock should take care of this current condition, but be sure to follow up with a weekly maintenance check to ensure the proper chlorine levels.  Be sure to check for PH balance as well.  Once your pool has been cleaned of all the algae, and a good chlorine balance has been restored, start keeping a weekly log of your pool maintenance.  This way you can look back in your notes and see what transpired in the previous months or this time last year.  

Do not forget that when the sun is strongest, the chlorine will evaporate faster unless you are using a chlorine stabilizer.  The chlorine will still evaporate with warmer sun but not as fast as it would without the stabilizer.  The purpose of the stabilizer is not to chlorinate your pool, but to bond the chorine molecules to the water molecules.

Check with your local Home Depot.  They should carry a product by Pool time called Algicide Plus.  Be sure to read & follow the directions on the label.

Algicide Plus by Pool Time.jpgAlgae & Bacteria killer Shock XtraBlue by Pool time.jpgAlgae killer Yellow Gone by Pool time.jpg

It may be necessary to do some scrubbing around the ladder area and along the sides of the pool to be sure you have gotten rid of all the algae.  The last two pictures are actually BBQ cleaning accessories but will work with cleaning those harder to rea

Algae removng brush by Poolmaster.jpg Algae removing Steel Brush by Poolmaster.jpg  Algae cleaning stanless steel brush 2.jpgAlgae cleaning stainelss steel brush 3.jpg

It sounds like you have some sound advice.  Be sure to do the follow up each week with your chlorine checks and you should be in great shape!  Be sure to take some pictures of you pool maintenance project and show what your are doing and the pools progress.  Thank you again for your question and welcome to the Community.

This has been another of,

Posted 2012-04-13T16:53:51+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Owning a swimming pool is one thing but maintaining it is a totally different ball game.The most important to keep the water clean and safe for all swimmers.You must test your chemical levels regularly, flush your filter, clean out the skimmer basket and vacuum. 

Before you start with any chemical treatments, though, use a pool brush to fresh the algae off the edges and ground of the pool. Splitting up the algae like this allows the chemicals do their job quicker.

Posted 2012-11-21T13:57:46+0000  by Anderson8100

Anderson8100 wrote:

Owning a swimming pool is one thing but maintaining it is a totally different ball game.The most important to keep the water clean and safe for all swimmers.You must test your chemical levels regularly, flush your filter, clean out the skimmer basket and vacuum. 

Before you start with any chemical treatments, though, use a pool brush to fresh the algae off the edges and ground of the pool. Splitting up the algae like this allows the chemicals do their job quicker.

above ground pool supplies

Posted 2012-11-21T17:59:12+0000  by Anderson8100

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+