Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

how to install French door

To install an interior pre-hung french door, do I take the doors off first in order to get it all leveled and shimmed etc. or leave them on and perhaps put the door knob on to keep it closed while I hang it & get it leveled? I currently tried hanging it with the doors and I could not get it shimmed & leveled correctly. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-08T22:07:18+0000  by pagliaccio pagliaccio

Hi pagliaccio ,

It’s a lot easier to install the jamb without the doors installed, here’s how.

First remove the doors from the jamb by pulling out the hinge pins, set the doors aside until you have the new jamb installed.

Use a good quality silicone caulk and place a double bead on the base of the opening and on the sides of the opening to make the door weather tight.

Place the jamb in the opening; make sure it is facing in the right direction.

Using wooden shims square up the jamb in the opening. Make sure it is true and square, use shims to bring it into alignment, this is vital for a good fit and proper door action.

One way to check if the door is true and square is to measure diagonally from the right top corner to the left bottom corner and then from the left top corner to the right bottom corner. If these measurements are the same your door jamb is square.

Once the jamb is true and square, nail or screw the jamb into place through the shims to secure it in place.

Finally rehang the doors and check for proper door action. Make any final adjustments, seal the remainder of opening with caulk and apply the trim.

Now you’re ready to prime and paint.

Mike,

Posted 2013-06-10T21:49:08+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+