Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

how to paint ceiling white with furniture in the room

how to paint ceiling in room with furniture in it. By myself not real strong.

Would it be better to buy a sprayer or automatic roller or just do it slowly in sections?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-12T21:12:38+0000  by deejay deejay

You'll likely have to move some of the furniture, just to cut in along the walls.  Those "Magic Movers" work pretty well and aren't horribly expensive.  After that, a roller on a stick.  Use a good quality ceiling paint to minimize splatter.

Cover the furniture with plastic.  You can buy cheap rolls of 9x12 plastic sheets in a box of 3 for $4.  

I wouldn't spray.

Posted 2013-08-12T21:19:43+0000  by Adam444

Where there is room, it is far easier to move the furniture away from the wall to a central pile in the middle of the room. It is very awkward leaning over a dresser while trying to cut in a neat ceiling line.

A centralized furniture pile can then be covered with a single continuous sheet of plastic to protecxt it from speckles. There is no such thing as a speckless paint!

I would then cover the entire perimeter of the room with dropcloth "runners" to total cover exposed carpets or flooring.

The entire ceiling can usually be accessed by use of the roller handle on a screw in broom stick. Ceiings should be rolled at right angles to the window light source to minimized lapping streaks.i.e. you are usually rolling crosswise to your direction of travel down the room.

It is usually easier to do a ceiling when doing the entire room, as the cover-up work is almost the same.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-08-13T00:53:38+0000  by ordjen

Hello deejay!

Simplicity is a good thing when it comes to painting ceilings.

I like the idea of moving furniture just enough to make a walkway around the perimeter.

If necessary, set up one or two walls at a time and then reverse the room.

Plastic runners along the wall are great ... creating a walkway as well as protecting the floor.

Purchase enough plastic to simply cover furniture in small groups.

WHAT PAINT TOOL?

Tool selection can set you apart from everyday DIYers!

Wagner PaintMate.jpg

I have found the Wagner PaintMate simplifies painting ceilings because the tube holds about a quart of paint ... preventing you from constantly going up and down to load your roller cover in a tray.

Simply load the tube and pull the trigger to fill the roller cover.

Keep your roller on the ceiling, applying paint, while other painters reach down to load and then straighten up to roll, countless times.

NOTE:

PaintMate comes with a plastic paint shield, designed to prevent drips ... Don't use it!

The shield strikes the ceiling constantly, causing you to re-roll spots.

So, leave the shield in the box and simply rely upon plastic to catch drips ... you'll finish much faster and the coating will appear much smoother.

Posted 2013-08-13T13:34:48+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

I've often thought that the Do-It-Yourselfer gets into problems because they do not adequately cover up the workarea. There is the routine paint splatter, which is an unavoidable part of painting, and the inevitable paint spill that even professionals occasionally encounter. If you don't have every square inch of the work area covered, you invite dissaster. More than once over the years I had to quickly roll up a dropcloth and remove it from the area before paint seeped through to the carpet.

Good work practices also help prevent dissasters. I got into the habit of always closing the gallon paint can after I had taken paint from it.  Sooner or later you will inadvertantly kick the can and cause a real mess if it is not closed. It is also not a bad idea to close the can to keep the solvent from evaporating. It is not a bad idea to actually keep it out of the area being painted if possible.

My best advise to someone anticipating painting, and doing so over a lifetime, is to buy some basic equipment. Among the basics is enough "runner" cloth dropcloths to cover the the entire perimeter of the room if leaving the furniture in the center of the room. You might spend a hundred dollars buying dropcloths, but they can last a lifetime. They are also handy for other tasks around the house, such as wrapping grandma's china cabinet when transporting it.

Even if totally emptying a room, I dislike large, single dropcloths. If you walk on a single wall to wall dropcloth, the dropcloth constantly wants to pull back from the wall, exposing the floor. Two dropcloths lapped in the middle prevent the dropcloth creep. I would purposely buy a 12x15 dropcloth and then immediately cut it into two parts, and then lap them over in the room being covered.

It is also a good idea to immediately wash a new stiff drop cloth. Washing a cotton dropcloth makes them more absorbant, just like a new bath towel. Washing also relaxes the fabric. They will lie down more easily and conform to stair treads, etc.

I am not a big fan of plastic dropcloths on the floor. they are full of static electricity and want to stick to your feet. They are also somewhat slippery on carpet. If using disposeable dropcloths, the bonded plastic/paper drops are better.

On hardwood floors, I would take the time to protect at least the entire perimeter of the room with red rosin paper. Rosin paper once in place is the best protector of the floor and does not slip around. It is also cheap, a 500sf roll only costs about $13. Often I thought it was perhaps overkill to put rosin paper down, but at the end of the job, when I saw all the paint spots and dust on the paper, I reaslized it had been worth it! If the room is totally covered, the paper can be folded inward and the floor is clean as a whistle, saving all the damp mopping to leave the area clean.

Just a few musings of an ol' painting contractor.

Posted 2013-08-13T17:07:31+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+