Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

how to paint fireplace tile

I am looking to paint the tile surround on my wood burning fireplace.  I'm not sure which product to use or what preparations need to be done.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-03T17:49:48+0000  by AshleysHouse AshleysHouse

Hello AshleysHouse!

1) If the tile surround on your fireplace is ceramic, you can paint using Tub and Tile paint; or

2) If your tile surround is metal, you can paint using High Heat paint.

Your Paint Associate can show you several "High Heat" paints.

Typically they include black and several other colors (white, almond, and silver), but most DIYers are using black to re-create the original appearance.

Simply clean the surface with a bristle brush; use a shopvac to remove the dust; gently wipe with a slightly damp terry towel; and after the surface dries, spray or brush three light coats.

NOTE:

The manufacturer says this product is not designed for direct contact with flame.

So, while the product will last on exterior surfaces, they will ultimately fade inside an active firebox.

Some of my customers freshen the firebox in the spring and simply expect the color to fade as they begin building fires in the fall ... then clean and freshen inside the firebox again the next spring.

Posted 2013-12-03T18:00:49+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Ashleyshouse,

If your surround is truly only a surround and does not extent into the firebox to any degree, you can use almost any interior paint if it is painted over a suitable primer. One of the most time tester primers is BIN shellac based primer from Zinsser. It has incredible adhesion to hard, glossy finishes such as ceramic glazes and glass. BIN leaves a thin, white coat to which almost any paint, oil or water based, will bond.

A good criteria, as to possible heat related failures, would be if you can hold your hand for any amount of time on those surfaces to be painted during a prolonged hot fire. Most paints are actually not flammable in themselves once dry, but can contribute to combustion in the presence of a direct flame. Of more concern is just discoloration in a hot environment, but if you can hold your hand there, there should be no problem.

Posted 2013-12-05T23:17:21+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+