Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

how to paint kitchen tile floors

what to use to paint batroom floor tiles

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-28T20:35:25+0000  by marielos1 marielos1

Hey marielos1,

Thanks for joining us here on the community!

We had this almost same question pop up earlier today. To read about how to paint over (I'm assuming ceramic/porcelain/stone) tile, you can click here to view how to do it.

It has a lot of great and informative information, so be sure to read everything in the thread.

Please let me know if you have any further questions,

Cheers,

Joseph

Posted 2013-09-28T21:14:34+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

It's a great day in the Paint Department marielos1!

Sorry to arrive late in the discussion.

Historically, The Home Depot has not sold any product by either Behr or Glidden that was suitable for ceramic tile floors.

I took the time to call Behr Technical Support and Glidden Technical Support on your behalf.

Lori at Glidden and Blanca at Behr both confirm that they still do not sell a product suitable for your application.

Just to be certain, I asked the follow-up question, "Is there a primer that would make your products suitable for application over ceramic tile?"

Both said, "Absolutely not!"

If you haven't executed your project yet, I would caution about using Behr or Glidden products sold in our Paint Department.

You may be able to research other suppliers for appropriate paint for ceramic tile floors ... we simply do not sell one.

Again, sorry for arriving late to the discussion!

Posted 2013-10-03T12:51:27+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

johncutsrta,

A true stain requires that the substrate be of a porous material. Most kitchen tiles will have a glass like glaze on them and will not absorb anything. That is why it so prized as a kitchen flooring - its easy clean-up. A spanish quarry tile could very possibly be stained, because it has no glaze and is of a very porous clay material.

The grout between tiles can be stained, again, because it is basically porous cement.

The acid stains, that are so popular now in public buildings, eat into the alkaline surface of the cement and becomes a permanent part of it. It is generally then finish coated with an acrylic or urethane clear coat, to impart ease of cleaning.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-10-04T23:47:39+0000  by ordjen
what about behr epoxy over linoleum tiles in my den?
Posted 2013-10-08T22:29:30+0000  by kentjames

Hey kentjames,

I answered your question already on another post where you asked this same question.

Click here to view it.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2013-10-09T13:42:23+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+