Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

how to prepare unfinished knotty pine for painting

I have unfinished knotty pine horizantal paneling (including the rough knots) in an upstairs dormer room. I HATE it!I

What do I need to do to prepare it for painting? I don't want stained or varnished, I am trying to do away with the the "rustic" look.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-02-14T16:44:44+0000  by juttee juttee

Juttee,

You will want to seal the paneling with an oil or shellac based primer. The shellac based BIN white pigmented primer would be my first choice over pine, as pine, and especially the knots , contain tannins which will bleed through water based primers. Non-water based primers also raise the grain of the wood less than the water based. Shellac  and BIN are  alcohol based primers. They do have a strong odor, so you will want to have good ventilation.

I would be rolling and "back brushing" the sealer. After drying and giving a light sanding with fine sandpaper ( 220 grit), you can continue on with the paint of your choice, either oil or water based. If a strong color is going to be used as the finish coat, you might consider having the primer tinted close to the finish color. Again, I would be rolling and back brushing the finish coat.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-02-14T17:53:57+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+