Building Materials

how to refinish outdoor concrete steps

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-15T19:56:56+0000  by sharslandofawe sharslandofawe

Hello Sharslandofawe!

Concrete steps can be refinished with several different products:

1) Concrete Stain - semi-transparent or solid color; or

2) Concrete / Garage Paint

Stains are penetrating sealers, so your concrete will have to be unfinished for this product to absorb. These products carry both the color and waterproofing into the cement ... a top coat is optional.

Concrete / Garage Paint is a surface coating. Use Concrete Bonding Primer under this product.

Finally, clean the surface with a pressure washer and allow to completely dry before applying your stain or paint.

Follow up if you have additional questions.

Posted 2013-05-16T19:28:57+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

hi thank you for your answer,i need to put a top surface on as it has wore to the little stones.need to spred concrete on it i think, but dont know product or how to do it can you give me stepsby steps instructions please

Posted 2013-05-17T17:51:34+0000  by sharslandofawe

Sorry for the delay Sharslandofawe!

I've been away for a few days.

If I understand your inquiry, you have the small pebbles embedded into the surface of your concrete. The surface is worn down to the pebbles and you want to secure them as well as recoat the surface.

I hope that is right!

Or, maybe you just mean the surface of the concrete has worn and the aggregate mixed into the original concrete mix is showing.

If it is the second, there really is no solution other than removing the concrete and replacing the worn pads. Skimming concrete on top of an existing pad would require so thick a layer that it would raise the surface more than an inch. Thinner concrete skim would crack in short order ... and is hardly worth the time and money spent on the project.

If it is the first scenario, you might try applying a thin layer of clear concrete sealer and then spot-place loose pebbles while the product is wet. Once these re-stuck pebbles are dry, apply another layer to seal the surface.

Try a product like Eagle High-gloss Concrete Sealer.

This oil-based sealer is probably your best bet for renewing the appearance of your concrete without having to replace pads.

NOTE:

This product is not available at every store, so you may have to special order or order on the internet.

Posted 2013-05-28T12:12:19+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+