Sign In to join the community | Help
Plumbing

how to remove a outdoor shut off valve?

Hello,

I have a question and would be grateful for any help/steps that's given. Just so that everyone knows I'm from FL!

Okay, my question is about a outdoor shut off valve. My old one is rusted and needs to be replaced. Here's a picture of what it looks like. This shut off valve was solder on.

My question is what tools would I need to remove the old shut off valve? With fully detailed steps on how to remove this valve and replace it with the new shut off valve below.

I did purchased a new shut off valve that was recommended to me. Because my old one was solder on, so the guy told me to buy this one. As the photo below shows! 

Thanks, in advance. 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-06-20T21:59:00+0000  by virgo58 virgo58

Before I write a detailed description, do you have any interest in learning how to solder?  Because that's what you're going to have to do to replace the valve you have with the one you purchased.

The other question is have is what the valve controls?  Because to solder (or do anything else) you need to shut off the water supply to that pipe.
Posted 2015-06-21T02:11:21+0000  by Adam444
Hey, Adam

Thank you, for responding back to me. I know how to solder somewhat. But I'm very interested in learning more about soldering, especially for this situation I'm having. 

I've shut off the water already (inside and outside from the valve it's completely turned off). Also, I have a tool that will shut off the main water supply at the meter box in my yard. 

Posted 2015-06-21T02:28:12+0000  by virgo58
Hello virgo58.  Welcome to the Community!

I would use a tubing cutter to cleanly sever the pipe just above the valve, and below the valve just past the elbow at the bottom of your picture.  You will need a new elbow, two couplers and some pipe that you can cut to length to install the new valve.  On homedepot.com there is a Project Guide on Soldering Copper Pipe that you may find useful.

You can find it here:  Project Guide

Chris.

Posted 2015-06-26T18:16:17+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+