Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

how to remove mirror

I have two different mirrors in my house that I'd like to remove.  The first is a large mirror over double sinks that I think was glued to the wall and it does not have any visible securing devices.

The second mirror is a small mirror in a half bath over a sink that has 4 small plastic brackets/clips that appear to secure the mirror some.

Any suggestions for how to do this safely and equipment needed to purchase?

Thank you,

Kelly

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-01T13:29:58+0000  by kellymjones kellymjones

Kellymjones,

It is possible to removed glued on mirrors, often without even breaking them. You do .however, have to assume that they might break and protect yourself for that event. You want to wear eye protection, wear a long sleave shirt or jacket and wear gloves.

You will want to take masking tape and criss-cross the mirror with bands of tape to that about every square foot of mirror has tape crossing it. It case the mirror shatters or cracks, large dangerous shards of glass will be prevented from falling.

After secureing with tape, take a stiff putty knife and start slowly prying up the edge of the mirror. As it starts to release, work your way down the edges of the mirror. Mirror glass is actually amazingly strong. I have managed to remove many mirrors without even cracking them. As you are prying, you will start to feel the the dabs of mastic which are holding the mirror start to release. Eventually it will release. You will then need help in removing the large piece of glass.

Your smaller mirror may or may not have mastic holding it too. Many times the little retaining pieces are put on to hold the mirror while the mastic sets. Take the top retaining pieces off first and see if the mirror will then swing outward freely. If it does not, you should then use the system described above to remove the mirror.

Now what to do with the dabs of mastic remaining on the wall:  You cannot leave or patch over the mastic as it will bleed through your paint and patching. The easiest way to get rid of these dabs is to cut around them, scoring right through the drywall paper. The paper will then pull off leaving the brown, pulpy paper underneath. You must then seal these areas with a non-water soluble primer such as Kilz oil primer or shellac. If you do not seal it first, the water in your patching compound will cause the pulpy paper to wrinkle up. Once patched and sanded, again prime the spot. If the wall is textured, you will need to match the texture. Most are sprayed on textures and can be matched with a spray can of wall texturing material. Finally, the texture should be also primed before painting to prevent it from "flashing", or showing up as a dull spot on your painted wall.

Hope this has helped

Posted 2013-04-01T16:39:48+0000  by ordjen

thank you so much!! You answered more questions that I should have asked.  I really apprecite your answer and your time.

Kelly

Posted 2013-04-01T18:30:52+0000  by kellymjones

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+