Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

how to repair legs on dining table?

The legs on dining table have split where the t-nut was inserted(i think that is a t-nut) where the table top conjoins or screws in to the leg....causing the legs not to be sturdy nor stable...please advise of a diy to fix correct or 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-06-09T04:21:10+0000  by ayruso74 ayruso74

Hello ayruso74, welcome to the Community.

I believe I understand your situation.  The area where the t-nut was installed has split so that connection is lose and unstable.   If the damage is only around the point of where the t-nut is inserted into the wood, I would remove the t-nut and repair the wood by filling it with plastic wood filler.  

Plastic wood filler has all the characteristic of wood, it can be stained, painted, sanded and drilled but is 3 times stronger than wood.  Plastic wood filler come in a variety of colors and can be found in the Paint department of your Local Home Depot.   Once the filler has dried, carefully drill the hole to the correct diameter so the t-nut will fit snugly but not split the wood again, then re-install the nut.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2015-06-09T14:11:28+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Hi ayruso74!

If the leg can be repaired, you're most likely to make a long-lasting repair using Loctite 5-minute Epoxy and a wood clamp.

This epoxy is rated for wood and creates 3200-pound per square inch of strength in the repair ... stronger that the wood itself.

However, if the leg is simply too damaged to safely repair, you might replace the legs as well as the mounting bracket.

Posted 2015-06-09T15:46:03+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+