Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

how to repair tile around a shower valve replacement over concrete block walls

HELP! 

So I've repaired tile over a new shower valve replacement before when there were wooden studs to tap into with concrete board, but this is a new problem.  There is no access from behind the shower and the walls are concrete block.

What can I do to make a base for the new tile to go over?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-11-19T18:01:02+0000  by Robness Robness

Posted 2016-11-19T18:01:47+0000  by Robness

Hey Robness,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

The best base for your tile is to use tile backerboard in a 1/2" thickness. You'll need to clear out the existing edges of the hole to allow yourself to set a rectangular piece slightly smaller than the hole (about a 1/4"). 

To allow the backerboard to stay, use tile backerboard tape (shown below) and overlap it on the new backerboard piece as well as the existing wall.

2 in. x 50 ft. Backerboard Seam Tape Roll

Be aware that you'll most likely need to take out those adjoining tiles that aren't affected just so the tape can securely be affixed to the base. Once this is done, you can apply a thin-set mortar rated for vertical surfaces. 

During each and every step, always ensure that the the backerboard, the tape, the mortar, and the tile are completely level to the rest of the wall so it looks like no repair was ever done in that location.

The mortar will go over gap where the tape covers, as well as adhering the tile to the wall. Once it is dried and the tiles are successfully installed, then you can seal everything and the repair is complete.

At each step, work patiently and slowly to ensure everything is set in place properly.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2016-11-19T20:28:41+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Thanks a lot man.
Posted 2016-11-19T20:45:23+0000  by Robness
Is it me or is that brick as the substrate for your tile?  If so, you're going to need to find a way to fill in so that you can use backer board as Joseph suggested.  I'm thinking you might approach it as one would repairing drywall when there isn't a stud. 

Basically you'd secure some scraps of wood behind the brick by drilling and screwing through it.  Then build up with wood so that you have a place to attach backer board.

Maybe you could pull the rest of the plastic and take a few more pictures from each side so we can see better what's going on inside the wall.
Posted 2016-11-20T00:03:06+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+