Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

how to replace a garage door spring?

What is the best way to repalce a broken garage door spring. It is not a torsion spring. One has broken and I will repalce both at the same time.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-03-31T12:17:57+0000  by golffrog golffrog

This is absolutely true. If you don't have extensive experience with garage doors, go with a pro. If you are in Arizona, there is a highly rated garage spring Phoenix garage door repair company that is worth checking out.

Posted 2013-01-15T19:01:55+0000  by StevenM

Garage door springs can be very dangerous, and unless you have experience with garage doors I would leave this to a professional. I've heard horror stories as part of a Phoenix garage door repair service. Maintenance on springs is fine, but when it comes to replacing I would hire a pro.

Posted 2012-10-30T21:00:01+0000  by PatKrewe

Greetings Fellow Golfer,

My name is Tom, also known here in the community as HD116. As a remodeling contractor I have had the request to replace extension springs on many occasions. You are correct in that you should always replace both, and while you are replacing them it is important to perform some required maintenance that most people do not take the time to do. For your convenience, Home Depot created a great video that overviews maintenance points on both the garage door and the opener. It can be found by clicking here.

As far as how to do the actual replacement, I did a post on this in October of last year that details the steps involved. You must first determine the weight of the door, purchase the proper sized spring and ensure you use safety cabling when you do the replacement. You will find all of this information as well as instructional videos by clicking this link.

I hope that helps and thank you for your question.

Posted 2012-04-03T16:58:32+0000  by HD116

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+