Sign In to join the community | Help
Lumber & Composites

how to select the right floor transitions/moulding

Hey everyone,

Every new or remodeled floor, be it tiled, carpeted, or wood needs to have transition and moulding pieces to complete the function of your floor. In cases of floating systems, like laminate or wood click-lock, the right moulding is REQUIRED to be installed to ensure the new floor works properly. This post is to show and inform the right uses for transition and decorative mouldings. 

For starters, the main (and bare minimum IMO) pieces to put in your new flooring are quarter round and basic transition pieces;  what are those you may ask? They typically are referred to as T-moulding, carpet reducers, hard surface reducers, and stair noses. However, there are also baseboards as well as other decorative mouldings you may want to use.

Moulding can add formal or casual elements, create new architectural interest, develop a sense of scale, incorporate and enhance pre-existing architectural features and bring in complementary or contrasting colors and textures. 

We at The Home Depot, either online or in the store, make shopping for moulding easy. We offer a wide selection for every home and every budget. Plus, we  are your one stop shop--you can get all the moulding, tools, paint/finish and accessories for your project with us!

See the images below to find out specifics about transition, quarter round, and baseboard profiles. The first image below shows if you are in the market for a floating floor system, like laminate or click-lock, consider using a Fast Trim 5-in 1 moulding system has everything you need in one package to give the right transition pieces for your room and in colors/finishes that match your floor!

fasttrim.JPG

The images above show how the mouldings are broken down by usage. Below is images of standard wood transitions, available in either unfinished or pre-finished to match your wood colors. in the image below, I'll get into a bit more in depth so you can decide which is the best transition/moulding piece for your room.

mouldingprofiles.JPG

Now that we've seen the basic styles of transitions, consider giving the baseboards and floor mouldings some extra pop. Our partners in flooring, SCHLUTER SYSTEMS, also has great alternatives for protective edges for your tile. We sell them in-stock at our stores as well as more through special order. Click on their name in the previous sentence to see all their options available. These pieces come in either metal or PVC, and are easy to work with and give a great finished look to your tile edges on the floor, countertops, and even stairs, below is a picture of them at work...

schluterprofiles.JPG

Also, our other great partner when it comes to flooring trims, M-D Building Products, is also North America's largest carpet and tile trim supplier! These products are mainly in-stock, and work great when you'd rather have an aluminum or metal trim alternative instead of wood. The best thing I like about several of their transition pieces is their Multi-Floor Transitions with hidden fasteners that allow you to adjust to varying floor heights for easy DIY installation! They can be positioned after hard surface floors and adjoining floors have been installed. This makes the hidden fasteners be the ideal choice for safety and better appearance. Click on their name in this paragraph to find out just what makes this brand an ideal solution for your transition pieces.

MD strip.JPG

Lastly, consider using decorative baseboards and floor mouldings in your room as well. In our Millworks department there are seemingly endless possibilites for that final design for your moulding. We have a great webpage on this subject in our Moulding Style Gallery section at homedepot.com, that page can be found here.

Use these links and images as a guide to help you through selecting the right floor transition piece for your existing or next flooring job!

Have a great day,

aboveaveragejoe 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-23T18:22:57+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL Joseph_HD_ATL

Hey wb6vpm,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

I'm not sure if you saw the diagram I posted at the beginning of this thread, but as long as the subfloor over both laminate and carpet is level, a hard surface reducer will be required.

As long as you install it properly and match a finish that is like your laminate, the hard surface reducer will be the best one to use in your situation.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2013-10-12T19:05:04+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
I am getting ready to replace the carpet in one of my bedrooms with a floating laminate floor, and need to transition the hallway carpet. My subfloor is concrete. What would you recommend for a transition?
Posted 2013-08-28T06:46:25+0000  by wb6vpm

Thanks Mr. Jay.

I'll probably go with the pewter transition strip... thanks for the advice!

Posted 2012-09-28T02:03:20+0000  by ScottC

Hey there ScottC,

Thanks for joining us on the community!~

Looks like you certainly do have quite a color dilemma on your hands. In taking a look at the picture, I can't say I would opt for matching with either of those colors. I would instead try and either bring in a slightly darker color like this pewter transition strip or have a lighter oak colored transition. The former will help bring in the color from the carpeting a slight bit since it looks a bit on the darker side, and the latter will bring in the light tones of the tile and the grout. Trying to match them will have the area stick out more than it should, you want the transition to be as seamless as possible.

Hope this helps get your project on it's way. Feel free to reply back if you have any other questions!~

Posted 2012-09-13T18:07:12+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Hi all... I need some color advice for a transition between a tile entryway and carpeting.
I have a photo of the transition area here:

http://www.naturalabstractions.com/2012Remodel/FrontThreshold.jpg

Should I have the threshold color match the grout color (SandStone), the  tile color (off white), or the carpeting? I know my question may be open to different opinions, but I have only technical skills and very little design sensibilities!

I hope I'm writing this post in the correct place. Thanks so much for this resource.

Posted 2012-09-11T15:35:19+0000  by ScottC

Hi there Toby,

Thanks for joining our community!~

Glad to see your doing your homework before hand and looking for the best fit for your area = )

Perhaps it's a colloquialism or a reference to a specific area, but I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "dries out in Bullhead." At 78 degrees that is a bit on the high end for wood and while it should still acclimate over time, I don't think that would be your best match.

As far as vinyl flooring goes, the Allure style is very resistant to denting and scratching, but needs to be maintained at temperatures of under 85 degrees, so as long as you don't plan on exceeding that, you should be alright.

Glue-down laminate is actually getting more and more difficult to come by now, as pretty much all styles are switching over to click-lock. As with the wood, I don't think this would be your best choice either.

Have you thought about tile? That's very resistant to heat and great with furniture!

Please let me know if any of these options sound appealing. We can work together on finding the exact one that will fit your area perfectly = )

Posted 2012-07-06T14:22:56+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

I have removed the carpet and have 4x8 wood sub-floor.  I do not want to put in carpet. I have looked at wood, laminate or vinyl. I have been told so many different ideas-I am confused. I live here year round-with the AC on 78. I need approximately 800 sq ft of flooring. Wood I have been told "dries out in Bullhead", Vinyl - indents after furniture sits on it?,

laminate, glue or not to glue?

Posted 2012-07-06T12:32:34+0000  by toby

you can find information about ceramics in here:
קרמיקה
http://www.meir-hamair.co.il

Posted 2012-05-08T12:48:56+0000  by eliav

Ah, well if the gap is relatively small, the RENO-T might be the best thing.

The FastTrim pieces aren't bulky by any means, but they aren't as slim as the Schluter piece. They're about 2" wide, but they'll provide you with a durable transition from floor to floor. They have a small channel that gets nailed or glued to the floor below first, and then the FastTrim snaps into that channel, locking it in but not permanently. It's best perk is that you can find them in most all popular colors and finishes, so you can find something that coordinates easily.

If you take a look at them and still find them a bit too much, then you can also look at the MultiFloor Transitions pieces. They're made of metal and are meant to contour to either even surfaces or those with small slopes. These may be a bit more low profile and more what you're looking for in that case.

MultiTransition.png
Posted 2012-04-13T21:27:24+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Thx for the info. There's a slight slope from the laminate to the tile but not much. As for what's there currently...nothing. lol   We had to pull everything up when we re laid new laminate so options are definitely open.

I guess all the pieces in the Fast Trim you suggested just look a bit bulky to me. Will they really fit neatly and just as importantly, look good?

Thanks again for your help!

Posted 2012-04-13T19:10:35+0000  by Tazflyr
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+