Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

how to wood grain outside doors

I know there are kts and I know you need a sealer and I know there are tools. I have a freshly painted dark color and want to put a lightler color over it. the question is can I just use the tool and sealer  and out quick to you need to use the tool once paint has been applied.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-18T19:03:02+0000  by cubfan616 cubfan616

Welcome to our community CubFan616!

Are these the tools you are wanting to use and look you are looking to achieve?

fauxbois.JPG

If so, the way that it is supposed to be done is first painting the surface a light color and then dragging the faux bois tool over a darker color mixed with a faux finishing glaze to achieve a wood grain look.

Here is the step by step:

How to

By your post, it sounds like you are trying to do it in reverse. This may work, but, the wood grain won't be very pronounced.

Since you will be doing this on an exterior door, you need to put an exterior urethane, such as Helmsman Spar Urethane, on top of it when you are done. The faux glaze is for interior only and if you do not seal it, it will not be able to withstand the outside elements.

If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Christine :smileyhappy:

Posted 2013-08-19T14:36:05+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL
Hello cubfan616!

I create this "How To" Faux Wood Grain two-minute video to demonstrate the tools and technique.

Click the link to jump to the video ... the second half of the discussion covers your technique.

If you simply can't learn enough about faux, you might like these threads:

Posted 2015-02-03T14:52:00+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Faux Bois and Gingham techniques can be used inside or outside cubfan616,

This "How To" video demonstrates how easy it is to create.

Watch Our How-To Video

Posted 2015-12-03T23:31:00+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+