Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

i am building a vanity mirror with 11 lights

i am building a vanity mirror with 11 lights can i run it all to a single 3 pin plug without burning it out

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-12-09T17:47:22+0000  by EasyA84 EasyA84

Hello EasyA84.  Welcome to the Community!

Any given circuit has a maximum amperage draw capacity.  I will assume that the outlet you are using has a 3 pin, 15 amp outlet as part of that circuit.  If nothing else was using power from that circuit then you could draw as much as 15 amps, or 1800 watts, in lighting.  As a safety precaution, not more than 1500 watts should be planned. 

Based on that, your 11 lights could have an ACTUAL draw of 136 watts each.  Eleven 100 watt incandescent bulbs would be very, very bright, (and HOT as well).  If you use CFL or LED bulbs keep in mind that the watts shown on the package are equivalent watts to a regular incandescent bulb based on light output in lumens.  The actual watts used by these bulbs are shown in smaller numbers on the package, and is a fraction of the equivalent wattage figure.

From a practical standpoint I don't see any problem running 11 light bulbs on your vanity mirror.  Typical incandescent globe bulbs use 25, 40 or 60 watts each.  CFL or LED bulbs will use a fraction of that power.

Chris.

Posted 2016-12-09T19:04:50+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
thanks i just wanted to make sure so i dont burn the house down
Posted 2016-12-09T19:59:21+0000  by EasyA84
If your house wiring meets building code, then any circuit overload will be handled by a tripping circuit breaker long before your house burns down.  It's only when people who are annoyed by tripping breakers install a larger one than the wiring or outlets can handle do fires start.

Chris.

Posted 2016-12-15T16:26:40+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+