Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

i want to whitewash my stained cabinets i need to know how and what i will need to do it

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-01T12:59:20+0000  by lollypop18 lollypop18

Greetings Lollypop18!

Great question! I have to do some research, but don’t worry, I’ll write you back as soon as I have an awesome answer.  I would hate for you to miss my response. :(  Please subscribe to this thread so you know exactly when your answer is ready.

While you wait, if you have any more questions, please ask!

Christine :) 

Posted 2013-05-01T13:56:08+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Welcome to our community Lollypop18!

My name is Christine and I work in the paint department at Home Depot.

A white wash, sometimes called “Pickling”, is a great way to lighten up your cabinets. It can make a big difference, especially if you have pretty dark cabinets right now.

First and foremost, you will want to remove your cabinet doors. Working on a horizontal surface is much easier than working on a vertical surface.   

You will need to remove the stain that is on your cabinets. Do this with either a stripper or liquid sandpaper. Follow the instructions on the product you choose.

Once your current finish and stain are removed, you can go about staining. To achieve a white wash look, you need to purchase a white stain. Minwax has a water- based stain in the color “White Oak” that will work well for your project.

Thickly brush on the stain, let it sit for a few minutes, and then wipe off access with a clean rag. Many people do this a few times until it looks the way they want.

Once you have the look you desire, apply 2-3 coats of water based polyurethane and you’re all done!

If you have any more questions about this project or any other project, please let us know!

Christine :)       

Posted 2013-05-01T14:57:15+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+