Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

ide like to know alot more about living underground in either in freight containers or cinder block

If you dont mind just a few minutes of your time, i would really like to know more about living underground. Ive had this idea for the past few years now and am alot more interested now since my finances have picked up considerably. I would like to know the pros and cons of freight containers vs cement blocks, personally ide like it to be a full sized house underground, running water/plumbing, solar panels, etc. If you guys can even do this, can you give be a ball park idea on the costs?  
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-01-30T06:44:21+0000  by splitspine splitspine

Hello splitspine,

Thanks for joining us here on the community.

Unfortunately, there are waaay too many variables for installation of both shipping containers and/or cinder block installation underground for even the most basic cost....because there isn't really a 'set' price or overarching one.

It is imperative you contact a local installer of underground living quarters. Typically, you'll mostly see them as storm shelter installers, so doing a local search of your area is your best recourse.

Any 'ballpark' price could swing from one place to the next in tens of thousands of dollars. And since there are so many factors to involve here (the plumbing and solar panels) and little info you gave us (square footage requirements), this would be your best course to get accurate pricing.

Personally, unless it was sealed, I couldn't see much merits of an uninsulated shipping container underground since it could eventually rust and leak without proper protection.

My grandfather had an excavated storm shelter only supported by timbers and a basic roof. It lasted for a while, but eventually it ended up slowly caving in and turning into a shelter for snakes instead.

I mention this is because his shelter was done on the fly, and to save a lot of money didn't really help in the long run.

With that said, do yourself a favor to get the best shelter solution, go over with a local builder who specializes in underground habitat builds, and not just a generic 'above ground' contractor. 

A professional will be able to go over detailed requirements, like building permits and inspections. This is equally as important as getting a final cost.

Do some internet research if needed. 

It will go a long way to get your answers. 

Joseph

Posted 2016-01-30T14:29:45+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Thank you for a great question.

Joseph has some good information about underground cellars.  Do it right the first time.  

I came across a YouTube Video about using a freight container as an underground wine cellar that you might like to see.

Using a Shipping Container as an Underground Shelter/Wine Cellar

If you have the skills and the tools as well as the labor from your friends and family, you can get it done.  Do not cut corners though. Do it right the FIRST time!

Let us know how your project comes out if you decide to complete it.

Rick_HD_OC

Posted 2016-02-09T23:40:25+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+